Solid Blue Light on New Hubitat Elevation

Hi all, I'm new to Smart Homes. This community and a friend of mine who's planning to switch from SmartThings to Hubitat convinced me to take the dive into Hubitat.

Last week, my Hubitat Elevation (HE) arrived! Unfortunately, when I opened the box, hooked up ethernet, cable, and plugged in the USB power cord, the blue light came on and stayed on.

I did some research into these forums and found that similar troubleshooting on the forums suggested I should contact support@hubitat.com prior to taking drastic actions such as a factory reset (one screenshot on that below). So, I did so. On May 30, I informed Hubitat Support of the following:

On my end, I've tried to find the Hubitat using http://find.hubitat.com/. Nothing comes up. I've tried entering my IP address in the advanced settings (##.###.###.###), to Discover it via mDNS search, and by entering the MAC address on the Hub. These did not work. Have searched for the hub on Firefox and Chrome from my computer and also from my iPhone.

Based on a suggestion in the forum, I also searched for Hubitat using Advanced IP Scanner. That tool didn't find it either.

Hubitat Support provided the following helpful message:

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us, we're here to help!

It sounds like the hub has not been properly formatted. When you get a chance, could you please try to factory reset the hub by following below steps, while you are on the local network:

** Go to http://192.168.2.54:8081/factory/recovery and click Start Factory Recovery, then click confirm.*
** Go to http://192.168.2.54:8081/ and click Download Latest Version, confirm.*
** Go to http://192.168.2.54:8081/setup and wait until it says "You will be automatically redirected to your Hubitat Elevation".*
** Unplug the hub, wait 15 seconds, and plug it in again.*

** replace "192.168.2.54" IP with actual IP address of your new hub as assigned by your router.*

If this doesn't work, please send us your hub's MAC address (there is a sticker on the hub) along with your hub's purchase order details (including the shipping address if the hub was purchased from one of our partners) so we can explore replacement options.

Regards,

Customer Support Services
Hubitat Inc.

I took the advice and tried the factory reset per the instructions, but this did not work. Wondering if, perhaps it was my network causing the issue, I hooked up the HE to a different network at another location. The blue light came on and stayed on that network, too.

My Hub's MAC Address is: 34E1D1######
It was purchased from ZWaveProducts, order # 5338. It's a model C-7 Hub.
My case number with Hubitat Support is: 22180

ZWaveProducts has been notified of the issue and responded to Hubitat Support and me with the following:

Please advise if the customer needs to troubleshoot further to make the controller working as it should be.
Or let us know if we need to move forward with the RMA.

Eight days have passed since I've last heard from Hubitat Support. Can anyone here recommend a solution or other steps I can take? I'd love to get my HE working if at all possible. If not, what do I need to do as a next step to get a working HE?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you,

Robert

Tagging @bobbyD

1 Like

I see that last update on the ticket from your email address was on Sunday, and prior to that we received the update from the Z-wave Products. It gets tricky when different email addresses are used to update a ticket, so that's why it was a delay in our response. We sent a message to our partner to issue a replacement as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

3 Likes

@bobbyD and others, thanks for your support and resolving the issue. I received a replacement HE in the mail yesterday. This morning I tried it out and it appears to be working! Green light, was able to locate it on find.hubitat.com, and I look forward to getting started.

For anyone from ZWaveProducts reading, I'll return the original HE back in the box with the shipping label you provided.

All the best,

Robert

4 Likes

Just one tip. The solder joints on the microUSB connector can sometimes be weak and fail. So it is recommended to always use the power plug end of the cable when you remove power from a C-7 or C-5 Hubitat.

3 Likes

Thank you both for OP and for this answer from @rlithgow1. This did help!
I tried reset, update, reboot, factory recovery and only that step with 2.2.5.131 did help me get through!