Soil Moisture Sensor

I' have put a DO NOT BUY ! warning on the Tuya driver page for this device.

3 Likes

The feedback is greatly appreciated. It is tempting as a complement to the ZigBee valve, but only if it behaves in a reasonable manner.

Is that this device?
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804792710988.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

Mine stopped working after 5 months and the battery stuck at 0% from day 1. The battery went dead, and even tho the unit appears well sealed with gaskets, it got wet from sprinkler and it's toast now. LED not working even with new batteries

1 Like

I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious about the Plaid moisture sensor. It pairs via Zigbee, but I can't seem to get a reading from it.

Any tricks you can share?

Hello, where can I download the driver for this device thanks

[RELEASE] Tuya Temperature Humidity Illuminance LCD Display with a Clock (w/ healthStatus)

Let us know how your device behaves.

OH ok Thanks, I tried that but it didn't show moisture or humidity. Seem it doesn't show up until the meter is in the soil. Working now. Thanks again.

1 Like

Yes, this device does not send updates until the sensor is put in a soil.

Keep an eye :eye: on the reporting frequency and on the battery.

Confirming the above referenced driver works for this device
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Moisture-Temperature-Humidity-Waterproof/dp/B0CKZ1ZBGJ

EDIT .. see the warning

Caution: junk device!
Will deplete the batteries fast, spams the Zigbee network with unnecesery data every 10 seconds.
Fake humidity readings (100% or 70% ), and temperature updates stop after some time.
SmartLife app draws fake made-up graphs of the T&H readings over time.

So is the EcoWitt soil moisture sensor + WiFi gateway the best option we know of? It’s a shame there’s no reliable zigbee device out there. The Spruce Plaid device doesn’t seem to be available anymore. I’ve emailed the company support team but haven’t heard back. Will let you all know if I learn anything more about it.

I tried this to monitor hot tubs temperature. No luck. Does not report changes as it should. Maybe this only works in soil?

If you are referring to the EcoWitt sensor, yes, it it designed to report moisture in soil, and does not report temperature.

There are other EcoWitt sensors that I believe can be used for a hot tub. @kahn-hubitat , am I remembering correctly that you played around with a few options in this space?

No I tried the tuya version. Just ordered Owons zigbee probe that should work with my case.

1 Like

The wn34d the wn30bl or the wn34bl all work

1 Like

Agreed, use this in my spa/hot tub with zero issues.

https://a.co/d/0hlB5nSh

1 Like

I use the ecowitt sensors with the ecowitt gateway and they work great. Fairly accurate and great battery life.

1 Like

Has anyone used the ecowitt sensor with a large potted plant and gotten accurate readings? I’m planning to use on a 24” x 24” planter that has an avocado tree in it. I’m concerned that it won’t give accurate readings where the roots are because it’s so short.

This is my main obstacle with adopting moisture sensors. The root zone varies so much by plant and soil. One sensor at about 3-inch depth is probably fine for lettuce and pansies.

A quick look at the inter-web suggests that avocado trees tend to have root zones of about 12-18 inches deep. It seems that they also like to spread wide, so I wonder how it will like being confined to a 24 inch pot. Roots might try to dive deeper to spread out. Regardless, a sensor less than about 8 inches deep might not get you much useful info.

1 Like

Can't vouch for the device accuracy but maybe drilling a sloped hole down into the outside of the planter (assuming it is wood) would allow you to insert the probe. I say sloped vs straight in because otherwise the egress of water might saturate the electronics.

2 Likes

That's a good idea, and I'll caulk it so there will be no egress of water - thanks!

1 Like