Soft-reset ERROR: Database failed to restore

I did a soft-reset this morning because my hub was sluggish and then froze. I tried restoring from an offline backup from yesterday, and it was stuck at the restore screen.

So I redid the soft-reset and tried to restore from a backup on the hub. None of them work. The error message I get is, "Data failed to restore. Contact Support". I have contacted support@hubitat.com, but I figured I had nothing to lose by checking for help here as well.

Tagging @bobbyD

Thanks!

Edit - tried to reboot from http://hub-ip:8081. It is stuck at 10% for ~1 hour.

I have the highest regards for our Support@huitat.com... but until they respond with the real answer...

If you do the soft reset and end up at the Green Get Started page... at the bottom is the restore from backup? In the middle, large, hard to get past is the Get Started button. Which did you use?

If you use the Get Started button you have to agree to terms and then see a tutorial and set your Location, to get to the main menu. There you can go to settings and restore again.. I'm curious if the menu and all it's options are functional for you.. before the DB gets layered on. In other words, is a "factory fresh" DB allow your hub to function properly? I know there's no devices, I know there are no Apps, but can you download a backup? Or check for an update? and have it work as expected?

Long ago, 10% seemed to be the point where it was hunting for a functional DB.. rotating thru all 4 onboard ones..

That's what I tried the first two times. Now it doesn't get past 10% after Soft Reset.

@bobbyD to the rescue (as usual).

He walked me through the soft reset again, and it worked perfectly. I had already rolled back the platform, so it was easy to update back to the new version after @bobbyD got everything working.

Couple things to say:

First, I know that support is @bobbyD's job, but I think it unbelievable to be helping a customer at 8 pm on a Saturday night. I am really grateful - thank you very much!

7 Likes

It's even more impressive on a Sunday night :wink:

2 Likes

Yes. I am behind the times!!

1 Like

Apologies - thought this better than starting a similar thread.
Support emailed me asking me to do a soft reset for a busted database.

Do I do a backup (offline/saved elsewhere) - do the soft reset and restore from the backup I just created ?

Have emailed this reply question daily for the last 3 days with no reply so I am asking here.

No - I would restore from an older existing backup (offline or on the hubitat).

The issue has been present for almost 2 weeks and ive made changes during that time,
so I dont really want to restore from an offline older than that.
So - restore from yesterdays off the hub maybe ?

You can try it, but the odds are high that has a corrupt database too.

so the only way is to wind it way back ?
I dont know when the corruption actually happened - support could help but they arnt replying

Are you sure? Because upon a reset/restore, the database is re-built, so in theory any corruption should be removed.

2 Likes

I'm not. All I know is that when my soft reset didn't work, we worked backwords until we found a backup from 3 or 4 days ago that worked.

@aaiyar:
Can you point me in the direction of the documentation on the soft reset procedure?

@jtmpush18

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Soft_Reset

In general, a DB backup will export a 'clean' DB.

In general, a DB restore will result in a 'clean' DB.

That does not mean there are never, ever any cases where the backup/restore cannot overcome the corruption. But as a FIRST TRY, it's alright to assume that a backup of a few mins ago, restored, will result in a clean DB.

Those 'edge cases' are why multiple off-hub backups are desirable. That way you can go back 3 weeks with no trepidation (minus the work you've done between then and now.)

There's not a lot of risk :slight_smile: Either it works or it doesn't. As long as you can get back to :8081 you can always try another DB.

3 Likes

cheers @csteele for the info

I'm getting the following error triying to do a soft reset:

Error: Request failed with status code 401

Any ideas of where could be the problem?

Is there a way to get my backup files from the hub before triying to do a full reset?

It just means you're still logged in.

Click Log out, try again, or if that doesn't work. use another browser.

3 Likes

Thank you, csteele, that was the problem, I was logged in. Once I logged out I was able to soft reset my hub. By the way, I was able to soft reset restoring with 2 days old backup, but not with yesterday's backup. Both of them said that the database was successfully restored, but yesterdays backup always gets stucked in 10% while rebooting, even if first I soft reset with 2 days old backup, reboot ok, and then try to restore yesterdays backup.

Is there any way I can fix that buggy backup?

Thank you.