Sockets and switches

Hey guys, just ordered my hubitat.
I'm doing some building work and looking at all the home automation and the hubitat edged it for me on my research.

I'm not looking for some recommendations for plug sockets (the full unit rather than a smart plug that plugs into the socket) and also dimmable light switches etc.

Any recommendations would be great. I'm in the UK

TIA

Welcome!

I do not have any outlets, but I do use several GE Z-wave Plus dimmers and have been very happy with them. For me, my rule of thumb is that colored lighting is all Zigbee (due to the color profile) and switches, single color bulbs are Z-wave Plus. But this is not steadfast.

Ah thanks for you input I'll have a Google.
I'm only really planning on using white for the ceiling lights.

IV just been speaking to the wife and she wants old fashioned toggle switches. Can I put a inline dimmer pre switch? I know the toggle switches will just turn on and off but could I use Alexa etc to change the brightness.
Or would as I fear, if the switch is set to off my automation wouldn't work.

There have been a few threads on this from UK users.
We are restricted I'm afraid.
I had LightwaveRF pre hubitat and I have got them working but you still need to use the LW hub via an RPi or cloud so I'd keep away ftom those.
There is a new thread about Aone and these look good but I don't know anything about them.
If I was starting fresh now, knowing what I know now, for lights I would keep away from smart bulbs.
I would use Fibaro or Aetec dimmers that can be fitted in you light switch back box, if it's deeper the around 35mm, or can be fitted in the ceiling rose.
You can them purchase whatever light switch you wish and control the lights via the switch 'smartly'.
For switches and you go for plug in outlets I would pick IKEA Tradfri as they are cheap direct from the manufacturer and are brilliant zigbee repeaters.
Hope this is a good starting point for.
Welcome to HE and have fun. :smile:

1 Like

My GE paddle switches will dim as well. Just like a traditional wall switch. And yes, you also have dimming via voice assistant. I have many GU10 light fixtures and use halogen bulbs because frankly, LED ones do not dim low enough for my liking. So anyone that comes over doesn't need an education on how to work the lights, they all work normally.

I also have two GE switches that run different circuits in my kitchen paired together. So when one goes on or dims, so does the other.

In my game room I do have a Zigbee color touch panel as that is where I have a lot of my colored lighting. But after a few uses, you get the hang of it.

https://images.app.goo.gl/ihow1LvhVYdFRp7u9

That's the type of switch I'm talking about

Not planning on smart bulbs in the ceiling. Smart switch etc for me. It'll control about 20 downlights, so to put Philips hue in all them would cost a forture

Thanks for this, the fibaro and aetec look like the solution.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.