So What Does 2023 Hold For Your Smart HE Home?

Biking

I'm brand new to Hubitat but I'm hopeful that my dream of integrating my older Z-Wave devices with my Apple HomeKit will finally be a reality. Next step is to figure out how to get my Schlage Z-Wave deadbolts ready to pair with Hubitat and then hopefully there will be a way to get them responding in a way that lets me control everything through Siri. Fingers crossed as I don't see these locks on the Hubitat compatible devices list...

1 Like

Get the heating system connected. Get a proper "away" setup going and stop buying and testing cheap zigbee and zwave aliexpress devices. lol. And finally fiber is connected to our home. So got myself a 500/500Mbit uplink at the end of 2022. I will be downsizing my datacenter footprint as I will not be needing them anymore for the upload.

2 Likes

Impressive, you deserve congratulations, losing weight (and not finding it again) is so difficult, particularly as we get older. :slight_smile:

Good quality dark chocolate is good for you due to higher presence of flavonoids and usually lower levels of sugar. Below is a great Gastropod podcast episode that explores chocolate historical and scientific info. Get the good stuff and enjoy w/out guilt. :slight_smile:

As for 2023 HA...

• Dip toe into Matter/Thread as it starts to appear relevant
  • Get some LED strip ligting into a pantry and couple of closets where I don't have easy access to power. Need to run some romex and add some new outlets w/out electrocuting myself or burning down the house. However, if I do burn down the house I need to make sure I also electrocute myself so my wife doesn't kill me. :wink:
  • Setup Apple Homepod Mini in Garage to play music & podcasts when I'm out there
  • Install Ring floodlight cam I bought almost 1 1/2 years ago to complete my exterior coverage security cam coverage. I've been a bit lazy about this one... :slight_smile:
  • Talk my wife into Ikea motorized cellular blinds (Tredansen) for the master bedroom. Very tired of manually raising and lowering 8 blinds every day...
  • Find the Ikea Tredansen blind that I bought several months ago to to a quick test at home, and now cannot find anywhere in the house. I have seatched everywhere and just cannot find it. :man_shrugging: :scream:
3 Likes

I believe it is spelled posterior. :laughing:

4 Likes

Ain't letting no one record my posterior in it's curren condition... :wink:

3 Likes

There is not a wide-angle lens large enough outside Hubble telescope that can capture that.

Edit: :smiley:

5 Likes

See here and see how to handle non z-wave plus devices...

As long as it's firmware 7.10 and above you shouldn't have an issue. Anything older is a crap shoot on the c7. As to moving them to siri, you will just need to create a couple of virtual switches.

2 Likes

Work out a few of the bugs in my system, namely the shades getting stuck on opening or closing. This is going to require me to learn about repeat, learn more about conditional, and figure out if there is such a thing as an "otherwise" statement.

After that just put a freeze on everything. I cant continue changing half my automations weekly. It wont be easy cause its like crack.

2 Likes

Switched to a keto lifestyle (basically 20 or less carbs a day) a year ago and lost 38 lbs. Want to lose another 30 or so this year and believe I can do it. I do walk a lot and play pickleball, but exercise can't overcome bad diet. One slice of toast with jam is way more calories than walking an hour. So, exercise to feel better and for better heart health. But, cutting carbs is the only thing that has worked for me. Great tips over in the /r/keto subreddit. Anyway, FWIW this has been my experience.

1 Like

I just picked up a 50' set of these Govee to install outside when I get the chance. New-ish product that was just about impossible to get this fall.
As usual, I will need to void the warranty to make them fit the house the way I want......

4 Likes

I found adding a 5 second delay between commands eliminated my IKEA blind issues.

Loads of stuff I want to sort out/add to my setup.

Make my setup as bulletproof as it can be. Switching my Pi over to SSD, adding a second that I can back up/clone to. UPS/battery backup for Modem, UDR, Hubitat, Pi and set up automated shutdown for the HE (and possibly the Pi?) There nothing like a corrupted database to make you think about these things.

On the automation front Iā€™d like to add some mm wave sensors to keep lights on. Although Iā€™ve rules set that do that via the physical switch, my wife just isnā€™t getting that if she overrides using the switch it then needs to be switched off!

Some water leak detection (so Iā€™m not bold if the stable door afterā€¦)

I probably need to explore modes as Iā€™m not using them yet. Most of my rules are by time or the status of the alarm system.

I also want to add a fair few outlets for non essential devices that will auto off when we leave/go to bed. I was quite surprised at the ratio of our energy usage. Around 60 per cent or more of our electricity is being used when weā€™re not there. Iā€™d never have considered that an issue previously but Putin has changed my outlook on energy wastage.

1 Like

I just bought a bunch of Smartwings blinds. I wasn't happy with the (lack of) color/material selections with Ikea and liked the options and prices I saw at Smartwings.

1 Like

I drained it a couple years ago and there was surprisingly little sediment that came out. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ I thought about a heat pump or tankless for my next one, but I think I'm going back to a regular ol' gas-fired tank. They're cheaper than the alternatives (and certainly more efficient than my 1996 model) and I like having hot water in a power outage.

She's already happy w/the Ikea color/material (we have the manual Ikea cellular blackout blinds now) so replacing them w/the same thing, only motorized, is the safe bet for me. :slight_smile: I can only rock the boat so much... :wink:

1 Like

We just bought the (roman shades) we wanted for the kitchen then used an AM43. For the rest of the house iblinds v3's

I have two major plans for '23.

1. Heat pump control based on solar production, limiting time-of-use energy charges (incl. demand charges). Have set up virtual switches in HE that are shared with Home Assistant. HA reads solar and grid demand. Using Node Red for setting switches. Just need to test under summer conditions (when power is expensive here).

2. Junk my Arlo Pro cameras (EOL in April) and replace with an NVR/object detection and new cameras. Leaning toward Blue Iris for NVR and PoE cameras outdoors. Not looking forward to running cable!

I've had lots of great help from this community. :smile:

2 Likes

I did leave off my own committments for 2023.... How convenient... :slight_smile:

Mine are mostly software related.... I have a lot of half-started or half-finished projects that I would like to either finish or progress much further, namely:

• Tasker integration (of sorts)
  • Extending my dashboard tools like my CSS Editor, Status Avatar and a bundling these and others together in an App
  • Continuing to expand my work on the Unified (Mitsubishi) Thermostat Drivers, including looking at other platforms to support

There are other smaller things around the house I'd like to look at, mostly carried over from last year. A more dynamic lighting setup where the lights slowing move between "scenes" as the light changes, re-organising my setup so apps and devices are running on the right hub (including my Rpi collection).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.