So what automations are getting thumbs up from the fam?

This for my house. When the Zooz 4-in-1 motion was messing things up, WAF went way down. Switched to Hue, been pretty stable.

Most of my other automatons get criticism from the family, so some of the ones mentioned here i need to look at a bit more.

I do the same thing by using a Harmony control as the switch. If harmony turns on, dim the lights. In my theater I do the same thing with the receiver (Denon).

Recently the wife was making lunch and commented that she wishes the motion-controlled under cabinet task lighting came on all the time and not just when it was dark. Two minutes in webCoRE and we now have task lighting that comes on after a minute of motion in the kitchen when it's light outside. :slight_smile:

Otherwise, we do like the hot water recirculator pump (plug) to warm up the shower, the automatic garage door opening and closing on presence, locking/unlocking the back door based on presence, and the green/yellow/red "traffic light" to indicate how much traffic there is on the way to work.

1 Like

We as a family have been doing this for some time anyway, sometimes you get a real winner.

In this case using the new "Lock Mirror" child add on to the Device Mirror app, I created this lock mirror:

So the good Night routine locks the Group Lock device, and a TTS of the resulting status gets sent to the master bedroom sonos.

The wife loves hearing that all the doors are locked when she shuts the house down.

6 Likes

Warning light (red LED along baseboards in kitchen) when gas cooktop burners or toaster oven are on so we don't sit down to eat or leave the kitchen with a burner or oven accidentally left on on

How are you doing this? Temp monitor?

A somewhat simple, yet convoluted application of contact sensors...it is a bit if a maintenance headache as I have to remove the front plate of the stove to change batteries...details here.

2 Likes

After 9pm but before 6am , door sensor trips on my 4 year old's door sending a message to all phones with specific sound. Text saying (Kid's name is escaping! Release the hounds!) and my GSD reacts to that particular alarm and runs out to track the kiddo and keep him pinned while we find him. (My other dog also has to follow to be where the action is at)

(Yes, I found a way to integrate my pets into my home automation. And in the spirit of Hubitat, it's still 100% local :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

I use the Roku Connect community app. Rule Machine monitors the "transport status" attribute to tell when something is playing.

1 Like

I use @ogiewon's Logitech Harmony integration to control my TV... So my good night routine turns off lights at one end of the house and turns them on in the bedroom, and also turns off the TV in the family room if it's on. Very convenient.

1 Like

Having Roku’s on my TVs, will need to explore this. Thx!

One tv also uses a harmony, so decisions to be made….

1 Like

I use that incorporated into my whole house shutdown since I have a Roku tv. Shuts the tv down

That's a great idea, you could do that. But no, I use the excellent Roku app by @armand for the primary TV integration which flips a switch I look that triggers a TV Scene I have set up and pauses/unpauses an RM rule.

I still haven't found a good solution for my Apple TV yet.

That is a fantastic idea.... I'm currently looking at the generic switch for Roku - but this sounds much more reliable. Mind if I ask, how often do you have the app polling for this state?

It's basically real time status updates. I'm not even sure where to set a polling interval. However, I have noticed that some of my "always on" roku devices end up being unresponsive after a couple days. A nightly power cycle (using a smart plug) has eliminated that problem. Might also be possible to automate a roku reboot without cycling power, but I've never tried going that route.

1 Like

Ah interesting. Going to the actual device the app creates, I had assumed these values dictated how often the app new the state of the TV. I honestly can't remember if I set 10min here or if that was the default.

Edit: I went ahead and moved this Roku specific question over to the main Roku thread.

So this one can continue to be on topic about awesome Automatons!

Good ideas in this topic.

My wife’s favorites:

• Setting the thermostats to eco mode when a window is open or the temperature is not too hot/cold

• Turning off the Rokus and Sonoses when not in use (by monitoring Harmony activity switches and using the switch binding app). Saves electricity and improves Roku/Sonos performance.

• Garbage day reminder

1 Like

I did this one too! I have two so I know when a car drives in or out.

Oh yes, I forgot this one. One of my favorites, since gabarge is my responsibility (part of my wife's pre-nup agreement :wink: ) and if I don't remember the night before it's an unpleasant wake up to the rumbling of the garbage truck and then a frantic dash in my PJ's to roll out my stuff before the truck leaves our cul-de-sac. :astonished: :weary:

2 Likes

We do something similar for robot vacuum days. All the dimmers start flashing green, reminds us to make sure toys and things are picked up and out of the way. Luckily garbage day is Mondays so I have all weekend to remember that one.

1 Like

We have dogs, and one day did not pick up an, um, accident that one had in the office before we ran the robovacs.

That was a very, very bad day...especially since there is evidently a codicil in my wife's pre-nup that includes that as well.