So Hubitat is at CES wonder if there will be

I do not think so but who knows?

1 Like

As a former Homey user I can tell you that the solution kicks @ss, UNLESS you wanted complex rules.
They say that they fixed this now with scripting avalibility, but for now, for me Hubitat makes much more sense. The little Hubitat hub is so extreemly flexable and powerfull for the cost, nothing can compare.

6 Likes

Iā€™m also sure support for Lutron among other brands will come in the future as Homey enters the US market. The simularity between Homey and Hubitat is that booth use a lot of user developed aps so probably some user will just create the integration themselves if not Lutron make an official app. The difference between Hubitat and Homey is that Homey have no ā€™integrated supportā€™. They jusy provide the hardware and the software platform and then itā€™s up to the users and all the different manufacters to create the app (integration) needed. In that sence. Homey is more like a PC/MacBook. You get the computer and Windows/IOS but then you have to install the rest yourself.

Right now some US brands are missing but on the other hand Homey supports some European brands that Hubitat doesnt support.

The big advantage that Homey has is the ease of use. (I have compared and Iā€™d say itā€™s easier than Hubitat.) The biggest drawback I would say is itā€™s hefty pricetagā€¦

If pricetag is relevent for you, then yes.
I do not mind paying extra if the solution is better / more stable. With Homey the price compared to the end-product is not as good as Hubitat.
If Hubitat continue to inovate and keep expaning functionality, they can beat Homey easy.

4 Likes

For me, RM is more complicated to use compared to the more graphic UI of Homeyā€™s ā€Advanced Flowā€ so I would actually choose Homeys Flows prior to RM. Maybe thats just how I work that make me prefer graphic UI before text and roll-down menues? Maybe itā€™s just a language issue since Iā€™m not a native english speaker? Or a combination of both probablyā€¦

1 Like

Homey's flow is pleasing to the eye, but way less powerfull that rulemachine. At leased comparing it from my usage for two years.

3 Likes

@monsterdykaren
No, I think that most people would prefer the graphical, easy to use, interface over the pull down menu type.
However, (perhaps this is my engineering background coming to the fore), in a contest between a very fully featured menu pull down versus a (much less) fully featured graphical user interface, I'd prefer the former.
Certainly the UI of RM can be improved - not many disagrees with that.
However, it works, and can handle almost every kind of HA situation, so "we go with it".

4 Likes

So may be but the visual looks are much more important than many people think when it comes to user friendliness. And thatā€™s what I miss with Hubitat.

2 Likes

I agree! I think also I have a different way of seeing things sometimes than many others here have that, like you, have an enginering background. Iā€™m not an egineer but a teacher working as, and studying to become a ceritfied, special education teacher so I look more to the ease of use and how things are presented to me since thatā€™s more closer to my field of expertese.

My hopes is that they will present a easier way to do things than RM in the near future, but in the meantime; the things I need Hubitat to do I can manage to fix using simple lightning or some basic festures of RM.

2 Likes

Those of you that donā€™t like the RM interface might prefer WebCore, since itā€™s now a built in app. I used it back when I was on SmartThings and it was much easier for me to understand at the time. Iā€™ve gotten used to RM now, so Iā€™m hesitant to go back to it.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve planned to do thatā€¦ :smiley:

1 Like
12 Likes

Checked the tutorial video for webCoRE. More user friendly than RM it seems :+1::slightly_smiling_face: but still not quite good enough for meā€¦. :smile:

2 Likes

My summation of this conversation, having only skimmed very lightly, would be:

• A contention between a super hub providing many of the bells and whistle's some of us could hope for vs a smaller, scalable hub that can grow and adapt as it's user-base grows (admittedly a weighted review....)
  • A discussion about the user experience when using HE's automation options, such as Rule Machine and WebCore

On the first point, I'll admit I briefly got on board (in my head) with recent suggestions to add a speaker into the new C-8, so I am not immune to wanting to see a more self-contained solution for Home Automation. That said, I can also support the counter-argument of the right tool for the job. I'll also admit to temporarily being "bedazzled" by the lure of Homey around the time I eventually chose Hubitat. I honestly can't remember what swayed me, apart from the price, I can only assume it was the options to program drivers and apps that drew me away to the .... light-side :slight_smile: In the end I think a smaller, more agile hub that can grow as needed is a better option in such a fast-changing space like Home Automation.

With UX and RM and.... other acronyms.... I feel like something Hubitat could offer, beyond the User Interfaces it provides, would be an introduction for new users to logic. It's one thing to provide the tools to achieve an outcome, but I feel on many (not all) occassions, new users lack the background knowledge many with an IT pedigree possess in understanding logic and the concept of state and events. This can be taken for granted and a little education could help immensely, I believe, and alleviate some of the confusion people face when entering the HA space for the first time, whether it be using HE or any other platform.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, and the great stuff going on a CES, thanks for posting the video @neonturbo :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I'm kinda wondering, is that a smart couch... :grinning:

1 Like

And a 10 minute video will go much farther in this regard than a section in the docs.

3 Likes
8 Likes

Thanks Bruce, I'll try and reference it where I can in future conversations.

2 Likes

That one sort of got lost. We'll get it into the documentation somewhere. You're right that people need to understand the basics to be successful beyond simple 'control'.

12 Likes