Snow, Snow and more SNOW

Dear Mother Nature,
Having received my free sample of snow, I would like to cancel the remainder of my subscription!

Thank you.

Last Night:

This Morning:

More to come:
A few more hours to go!

16 Likes

Argh! I hear that is coming our way next… :frowning:

I’d also like to cancel my SNOW subscription!!! :smiley: However, I hear that the cancellation messages aren’t able to reach their destination from this far up north…

3 Likes

Ugh.

We’re on a flood watch starting tomorrow afternoon.

1 Like

Here in the Chicago suburbs, we winter is taking hold. Light snow equates to 3 inches?

1 Like

That's light snow!!!!!!!! Wow.
If we get that in the UK the country shuts down, it's all over the news as if we have been invaded by aliens and you can guarantee all the supermarkets will have no tinned food, pasta or toilet rolls. :grin: :laughing:

4 Likes

And this is winter in Israel.
I do not mind having some snow though.
Mind you temp is in Celsius :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I'm in Texas, what is this thing you call "Snow"?

8 Likes

Well, I would rather have snow than a flood… At least I can shovel snow and it doesn’t get in the house…

4 Likes

For an experience along the lines of @bptworld - Open your freezer. Take out an ice cube. Put it where the sun does not...

I think you get the idea. :wink:

Grew up in VA w/snow days, sledding on the neighborhood hills, neighborhood-wide snowball fights, and pummeling cars going down the main drag w/snowballs. Really miss snow, but only because I never had to deal w/it as an adult trying to clear off the driveway to get to work, or get the kids to and from school! :smiley:

4 Likes

Bring it! Already got 4 inches last night. More on the way.

1 Like

I grew up in Central Illinois and in my 30's i was in Chicago. It's just been so long i forget what it looks like! In an ironic twist, my territory at Work is Dakota's and Eastern Montana. They see a lot, i have fun telling my crews it's in the 70's here when they are in the middle of a 5-month deep freeze.

1 Like

You heard him, @bptworld - start boxing it up and shipping it. :wink:

1 Like

I grew up in SE lower Michigan, and living on the outskirts of DC, I was always amused at how the area would completely shut down at 1/2" of snow - although, I also understand: they've got no equipment and (more importantly) no built-in places to put large piles.

The Bawlmer area I'm in now is a bit better; it helps that it tends to be about 10 (very important) degrees warmer here than my friends back in MI report.

2 Likes

We had about 2” of wet snow in Illinois on Saturday.

Supposed to get a whammy on Tuesday.

Now that my wife and I are retired, bad weather just means we don’t go out. We have plenty of ingredients for French toast.

About 15 years ago we had a huge ice storm that knocked out power for 2 hours short of a full week. And it was 20F outside. I kept it about 50F in the house with a gas generator that has since expired :roll_eyes:. I put it in storage after that storm. Fast forward to last summer. Straightening up the garage and wanted to fire up the generator just in case. Fresh gas, three pulls and it is running.

Was running great then started squeaking, then stopped. Dumba$$ drained the gas AND the oil when I put it in storage. Didn’t think to check the oil because who drains the oil?

Ended up selling it to a guy with the same generator that his generator part was bad.

What really bothers me still is that I am a retired ASE CMAT L1 tech.

A few months ago I bought an EZ Generator Switch and a VTOMAN 1500 watt power station so if the power goes out, all I have to do is connect the 1500 to the EZ Generator switch and flip the rocker switch.

If the power is out for longer than 12 hours, I break out the new dual fuel generator. No gas to get stale.

3 Likes

Bring 4x4 truck to get up the 2 mile dirt road. Don't forget Beer.

2 Likes

Snow at last! What a relief! Here in Canada the talks was about the lack of snow so far.

At my previous house, I had a Champion dual-fuel generator that I purchased in 2012. The output on propane was about 7000 running watts.

That ran my house (including central A/C) on propane during a lengthy power outage caused by Hurricane Ida. And not dealing with gas was a blessing. I replaced the oil and the spark plug after it ran daily for 20-22 hours for ~2 weeks. Oil was clean and so was the plug. I left it when I sold the place; going back there next weekend to teach the new owner how to use it and hook it up to a manual transfer I'd also installed.

Getting a natural gas 24 kW Generac installed on Wednesday with an automated transfer switch. I hope it is as trouble-free as the Champion was.

3 Likes

WTF, who do I see for a refund! :astonished::wink:

1 Like

You fellow Canadians - Shame on you!!!!
A little snow, and you're crying for your Mother!
What ever happened to Canuck grit!
Suck it up!

1 Like

Refunds. . . [chuckle]

My 5th winter having direct dealings with that thing called "weather", I hate putting chains on the truck, but yesterday I put both front/back sets on. I made an ordeal of it, as I never feel I'm doing it as good as it could be. So, 2-3 hours taking my time, cutting excess links. . . then go to mount the plow, and I didn't put on one of the shoe mounts correctly. Took a few tries to grok my mistake and VOILA it hooked up like it should. I'm effing ready!

This morning I get up to work with the guy down the road to clear our unmaintained 2 miles or so. Flat tire. Whut the. . . ? I had 100' of hose, so could blow it up again, and fortunately it's still holding. But. . . really?

Involved, confounding, but oddly enough I didn't get upset like I would be prone to do. Getting more experience with one's sh*t not doing what it's supposed to I guess is tempering me. And it always could be worse. . . we don't get Buffalo NY snow, just the after effects of it. [g]

I already rolled one truck, so keeping these four wheels on the ground puts everything else in perspective, as well.

"It's an adventure"

4 Likes