[SNEAK PEEK] Z-Wave firmware updating inside HE

I would love for you to explain how it is under-powered...

1 Like

It has been covered a dozen times, no point in rehashing it. Summary... Excessive use of RM, slowdown. Excessive use of lan or web endpoints - slowdown. Excessive use of logging/event creation - slowdown. No easy way to prevent thread concurrency without being a PhD level programmer - slowdown. During the daily maintenance window - slowdown.

Anyway, I didn't want to derail your thread. Just couldn't help myself when you said it wasn't under powered just because your single use works. :roll_eyes: Sorry.

2 Likes

Wow

5 Likes

Progress Update

Completed:

• Locking mechanism - To prevent accidental or impatient double click
  • Memory cleanup of data that is no longer used
  • Reduction of debug logging - and adding of enable debug logging preference

New task:

• Added an abort mechanism to stop processing the firmware update at any point

These 2 got pushed as I got on a side tangent while researching hardwareId

• Add reminder for wakeup of sleepy devices on no response after x time
  • Test of parser on hex files that need 0xFF byte padding (boot loader area)

This one has me stumped for the moment.. V5 added hardwareId as a classifier.. But I have no sample firmwareImage and have not yet found a file structure definition that describes where to find this in the firmware image.. And cheating on this and just reporting back what the MD report had doesn’t sound completely safe.. Although it should be rejected after download..

• Work on update MD CC v5+ packets
4 Likes

I wonder if you might be able to get hints for any of this from the Open Zwave folks. They will have some deep insights into the inner workings of Zwave.
http://www.openzwave.com/ or openzwave@googlegroups.com

2 Likes

I am scouring through the 700 series sdks and docs right now.. It’s got to be in there somewhere..

1 Like

I searched every document from this massive download on all the 500 and 700 series sdks ... Nowhere in any place where they describe the firmware descriptors do they mention hardwareId .. Ugh...

Probably doesn’t matter at the moment as 700 series devices are not widely available yet.. And apparently the whole structure of the image is different, as my structure parsers are making no sense out of it..

Looks like that’s going to be a v2.0 problem to solve...

I have some sample firmwares from the sdk .. I’ll play with it more later...

1 Like

Excuse my ignorance.
Will I be able to use this forthcoming tool to update the firmware of my Leviton switches?
I happen to have the new version of their firmware.

1 Like

Yes .. If the device is z-wave and supports OTA firmware updates

1 Like

And there is an update available for that specific device that has been released by the company.

1 Like

Will this be able to update Iris Model 3210-L? The zigbee/z-wave plug in modules?
Thanks

1 Like

do you have a firmware update file?

I figured that was the next question, I'll start looking. Thanks

1 Like

If you can find one .. There would be a lot of people interested

1 Like

Hmmmm...:thinking: I am guessing the Iris 3210-L will have to be updated via Zigbee, not Z-wave.

1 Like

Actually it’s 2 firmwares..

1 Like

Interesting....

1 Like

It’s a zigbee switch.. That they slapped a z-wave chip in.. There is a connection between the 2 because you can trigger a z-wave learn from a zigbee command

2 Likes

@bcopeland

Curious how the progress with this is coming along. Any updates to share? Thanks for such an amazing effort.

-Travis

1 Like

Out of curiosity could this make flashing the peanut devices easier?

1 Like