[SNEAK PEEK] Z-Wave firmware updating inside HE

There would likely be copyright issue to contend with and take down notices.

2 Likes

However, there could be a tread of success stories; which devices were able to be updated, and a link to the vendor's image, or support page.

1 Like

I don't know if you have an investment in the Inovelli dimmers or switches, but they a expecting firmware updates in the near future. They are active in the Hubitat community (@Eric_Inovelli); they may be willing to coordinate testing with you and you driver.

2 Likes

I was testing with their pre-release beta firmware

1 Like

Oooo! That's exciting news on a couple of fronts: that you have it working with their devices, and that they have beta firmware in testing.

And, BTW, I should have opened with: Thank you for your work!

4 Likes

If a company was willing to offer their firmware in the first place, they may be willing to let someone else handle the cost of hosting and distribution... But you are correct, they could indeed request takedown. There would have to be a certain level of legalese in any agreement. Just the way the world works nowadays.

2 Likes

@bcopeland

Bryan, this is an extraordinarily valuable contribution. Being able to update firmware from within HE will permit us to update devices without having to pair them to a different controller.

I don't know if the approach is similar to not, but I hope you (or someone else) makes this happen for zigbee devices too.

Thanks again for showing what's possible!!

6 Likes

One day... Gotta get finished with the z-wave side first... And I have other projects I want to get done too..

2 Likes

Right now it works in a very specific way.. I need to go back and add hex file parsing as this is a little different and requires padding... And there are 2 other file types referenced, need more information...

Also need to work out ui details and all the firmware targets... As well as the newer functions, ie firmware activation etc... And the differences of when a boot-loader is needed...

So right now it is very much a proof of concept.. I wanted to prove it could be done.. Now I need to go back and add all the functionality..

2 Likes

And if we could get our hands on the update files, modify Osram bulbs so they stop being repeaters?????

(Just dreaming)

3 Likes

Major progress today..

Got a lot of things cleaned up.. And firmware activation working .. Still a ways to go.. but thought y'all might want to see the progress...

3 Likes

Not...

Add to it, Yes...

5 Likes

This is awesome.

Was waiting on when Mike would give is an eta as to updating all the built in drivers with this functionality. :slight_smile:

Gonna be a painful process if I have to update my 40+ inovelli devices.

2 Likes

Changing the driver is much less work than changing hubs...

6 Likes

Takes me less than 10 minutes to swap the driver run the update and swap back

3 Likes

Prior to this I was doing updates through silabs pc controller and a zstick as a secondary controller... But I wanted to make it more accessible to non engineers

4 Likes

No big deal. I’m just happy if you get it working to the point it can be released. A lot of people will appreciate it.

I use the basic zwave driver for a number of things. It’s a great tool to have.

1 Like

That’s the point.. Just want to keep it out of the hands of ST users.. I want this to be HE exclusive.. I think the cloud would totally butcher the persistent storage, so it may not be an issue.. But we will see...

I will probably be at the beta stage this weekend.. It will be an invite only access to the repository.. And only to people who have firmware images to test with..

Inovelli has some beta firmware .. Will see if they will let me release it to some beta testers.. They provided me the firmware to do my testing with..

4 Likes

If y’all want to be on the beta list.. PM me with your github username, device you have to upgrade, and the update file type (.hex,.ota,.otz, etc)

That way I can do my research ahead of time on the device update versions and file format conversions..

4 Likes

@agnes.zooz

I have a Zen22 version 2.0 dimmer that I bought from Amazon a couple years ago. Here's the purchase details and information from its Hubitat device page.

The Zooz website indicates it can be updated to version 3.0, but I can't see where to download the firmware file from. I want to update it using @bcopeland's new firmware update tool described in this thread. If it fails, its on me ......

Can you send me the file and its format, so I can sign up for his beta?

1 Like