Smooth transition from dual C-7 Hubitats to dual C-8 Hubitats

As the title indicates - I have been running two C-7's (basically one for Zigbee and one for Z-Wave). I just did the transition and I must say my compliments to the Hubitat team - that was very smooth.

The only manual intervention required was to re-authorize Google Home using the Google App on my phone. That also was very smooth.

@bobbyD I did notice what appears to be a problem when the new hub comes up and asks to create an account or login. Both times when I attempted to log in, it would not accept my username/password. I continued and went to the Subscriptions tab once the hub was up and that allowed me to log in (using the same username/password). Note that my username (e-mail address) contains two periods (I mention that as I saw that hyphens were causing a problem).

4 Likes

I just saw (on another thread with a message from Bobby) that usernames containing upper case characters are not supported. My e-mail address contained upper case characters and thus that was likely the problem here. I guess I missed the message about that change.

@bobbyD

It happened when we redesigned the now "old" user portal, back in May 2019. Prior to that we allowed users to create accounts with capital letters. Very few are grandfathered in, but now and again we see one that runs into problems. Same goes for those who used social media accounts. There are few who are still grandfathered in from that time and are yet to migrate to a Hubitat Account.

Update after 13 days -

Four hubs, all running 2.3.5.113.
C-4, Z-Wave radio only, supporting on Schlage FE-599 lock.
C-7, No radios, supporting Ecowitt weather station. This had been my Z-Wave hub prior to my transition to C-8 hubs.
C-8, Zigbee radio only, this was transitioned (migrated) from a C-7 that was Zigbee only.
C-8, Z-Wave radio only, this was transitioned (migrated) from a C-7 (above) that was Z-Wave only.

C-7, Zigbee radio only has been taken off line and is currently in the spare parts bin.

The C-8 "migration" tools worked well. All the devices, both Zigbee and Z-Wave, transitioned over.

Z-Wave has been solid, no devices have "fallen off" and performance seems good. I think I have a few more devices connecting directly than I did before. I have not joined any new devices since the transition.

Zigbee was a little bit more frustrating. One of my Hue Outdoor motion sensors "fell off" the network after transition and, while I could reconnect it, it would "fall off" again fairly soon. I ordered a new one from Philips Hue and it arrived the evening of the 15. The morning of the 16th I installed it and took the batteries out of the old unit. the .113 release came out some time during that day and I installed it that evening. The new sensor has not dropped off the network.

I saw some people were also having issues with Nyce motion sensors so I decided to go through all my Zigbee devices to make sure there were no other problems. Most of my "motion zones" are set up with more than one motion sensor which means I may not notice one that is not working. Indeed I found another one but it was the other Hue Outdoor sensor. It had been off for several days and I hadn't noticed it.

The Hue Outdoor sensor that I replaced with the new one had been off (batteries out) for about a day so I decided to try re-installing it. I put the batteries back in it and did the 10 second button push (hoping one or the other would reset it) and then I joined it to the network. The hub did not recognize it (correct behavior since I reset it) and the install went through. This sensor has now been on the network for a couple of days now and hasn't fallen off.

As of yesterday, the one remaining Hue Outdoor sensor had been sitting for a day with batteries out so I decided I would try reinstalling it. I did the same as before, putting the batteries back in and doing the 10 second button push. Again the hub recognized it as a new device and the install completed. I added this to a notification app that reports on motion near the exterior doors of the house. It has now been working for a day and I am watching it closely.

I installed two other new Zigbee devices (while still on the .110 release) in hopes that adding a couple of routing nodes might help. I added two Centralite 4200C smart outlets. Both joined just fine but the Hue outdoor sensors didn't use them to route (both the Centralite outlets were in place before I installed the new Hue Outdoor sensor and before I installed the Hue outdoor sensors that I reset).

I continue to monitor closely.

Summary:

C-8 migration worked well for both Zigbee and Z-Wave
Philips Hue outdoor sensors were problematic prior to release .113
I did not have any problems joining new or factory reset Hue outdoor motion sensors (even prior to .113 release)
I did not have any problems joining new Centralite smart outlets (prior to .113 release)
I did not install any new or reset Z-Wave devices

1 Like

Additional Update:

The oldest of the Hue Outdoor motion sensors dropped off around 3 AM this morning (after 3 days). It is the furthest Zigbee device from the hub being located on the back porch. I have moved one of the Centralite plugs from the front of the house (where it didn't appear to be routing any traffic) to the back of the house. Now I'll see if this sensor will re-pair.

It re-joined when I started Zigbee pairing and pressed the button on the back. The Route table is not showing it as routing through the Centralite outlet (although I'm not sure it shows every device that is routing).

Just a few minutes later and now it is showing as routing through the Centralite.

Now to wait . . .

Update (NOT an April Fools post):

All hubs have been updated to 2.3.5.121
The Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor that I purchased new and installed has been solid.
My original two Hue Outdoor Motion Sensors have now been working for over 10 days now (after factory reset and rejoining to the hub).
I thought I might have another Zigbee-related problem when my Office Motion Lighting App seemed to get stuck but when I checked the motion sensors in the room the SmartThings Motion Sensor (the one with the magnetic swivel ball base - made by Samjin) was showing a battery value of 37% which, for that device means dead. Checking the device page and it was stuck "Active". A new CR2 battery and it came back to life and is working fine (as is the Office Motion Lighting App).
The new Centralite smart outlets are working fine but not doing much routing - I'm not sure they are adding much to my Zigbee mesh resilience.
Z-Wave has been solid.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.