Smartthings Water Sensor - Bad?

@waynespringer79. Looks like it changed. Now I know it is able to communicate with the HUB

1 Like

@waynespringer79 Well I just looked at the Water Sensor... Battery at 0% WHAT?

Dunno, although I do have several smart things motion sensors that report either 0 or 1% battery routinely. But they report activity regularly so until they don't I myself don't worry about battery levels.

@waynespringer79 Ya it just bounced back up to 99%

I have the same problem here after going through two Samsung devices. It's stuck on wet. Is there a better water sensor in the market? I convinced it is a Samsung issue after going through two with the same issue..

Eventually I got this thing working. Been working ever since... I think. :slight_smile:

And how did you do that?

It was a while ago.

I think I ended up taking the top of an using a hair dryer and letting it sit for a couple days.

Something like that.

They did issue a firmware update a few weeks ago if you have, or know someone who has, a SmartThings hub to update it. I’m not sure of what the update was supposed to fix. I have 2 of these that have saved me from flooding due to my kids putting too much detergent in the washer a couple times now and they are still working perfectly, so I have been hesitant to try updating them.

1 Like

I can NEVER resist a good firmware flashing session, so I paired my 2 samsung moisture sensors back to ST and the firmware updated from 00000011 to 00000014. The batteries took about an 8% life hit due to the update. It's been 3 days and both sensors are working fine, along with a V4 multi motion sensor I upgraded. I tried to upgrade my V5 multi motions but there wasn't an update available.
Not sure if I gained anything, but it was fun and didn't break anything-yet-ALTHOUGH 1 of the sensors, after being paired back, post upgrade, to HE and included in HSM flood alerts and actively reporting temperature every 6 mins, did not set off HSM when I wet it, I had to re-discover all over again, and now it's working with reporting water.

In the past with ST, i had their firmware upgrades trash 2 sensors, so there's that.
If it ain't broke don't fix it-ain't for me!

2 Likes

There’s also an update for the button controller :wink:

1 Like

Does Hubitat support updating the firmware on these devices? The process to unpair from HE to ST then back to HE is a total life suck especially if you have many rules setup.

Does Samsung make the firmware publicly available?

Good question. If no, then my question is void I guess...

Not really. Hubitat needs a zigbee firmware update process like @bcopeland’s zwave firmware updater. But it still relies on firmware being available.

I have seen Sylvania/Ledvance post links to firmware updates, but that’s it. I haven’t tried asking, but not liking my chances for getting firmware from Samsung. Probably be a cold day in a hot place before they give it up.

1 Like