SmartThings Water Leak Sensor (STS-WTR-250) Life Expectancy

I'm not sure what version these are but I bought them in 2017 and the model # is STS-WTR-250. I have about 10 of them and they worked fine on SmartThings for about 4 years, in fact I don't even think I had to replace batteries that often.

I've moved them over to Hubitat and they have been fine for about a year but now several of them frequently go offline (don't report events; it should report temperature frequently). I have to re-pair them to get them working; not just replace the battery.

I have never had to do this with mine. It sounds like it maybe an issue with your mesh. Have you added more sensor devices that could have overwhelmed the number of repeaters on your network, or moved/removed repeaters?
I can’t remember the exact model, but on the device page I see:

• endpointId: 01
  • application: 11
  • firmwareMT: 1241-0030-00000011
  • manufacturer:Samjin
  • model: water
  • softwareBuild:00000011
    You might have the centralite model.
  • endpointId: 01
  • model: moisturev4
  • application: 19
  • firmwareMT: 110A-0013-00000019
  • softwareBuild: 00000019
  • manufacturer: SmartThings

You may be onto something with the mesh. There is a multi-sensor on our first floor that frequently goes offline. Same with our LeakSmart value.

6 multi-sensors in the basement where the hub is located have no issues. Everything is in the same location when I had SmartThings, even the hub so it never occurred to me that I need a repeater. So total we have 8 multi-sensors, 10 leak, and 2 other devices. Do I need a repeater?

Yes, preferably several. Otherwise you don’t have a mesh, just the hub trying to reach everything. @aaiyar has mentioned some cheap plugs that have worked well for him. He will probably respond with the link since I @d him. Otherwise, if you are okay with flashing firmware, @danabw created a step by step tutorial on flashing the Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 dongles to act as routers. I have 3 on one hub and 2 on another and they have worked very well for me since January and are available on Amazon in packs of 2. Put one near the hub and one on the level above the hub.

It's not so much a function of number of devices as it is strength of mesh. But in general yes you do.

If you try this link and post the results something may pop out... or not

http://[your.ip.goes.here]/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo

PS: My ST water leak sensors last at least a year and I have not had one go offline.

Parent child parameters
EzspGetParentChildParametersResponse [childCount=13, parentEui64=0000000000000000, parentNodeId=65535]

Child Data
child:[Utility Room Tub Leak, 8BDE, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]
child:[Kitchen Sink Leak, 59EC, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]
child:[Basement Front Window, B701, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]
child:[Refrigerator Leak, 86EB, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]
child:[Front Door, F76F, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]
child:[Washing Machine Leak, 38A4, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]
child:[Dining Front Window, A8E5, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]
child:[Utility Room Side Front Window, 48CF, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]
child:[Basement Side Window, D195, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]
child:[Utility Room Door, E60D, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]
No information for Child 10
child:[1st Fl Sink Leak, E767, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]
child:[Closet, A106, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]

Neighbor Table Entry
[Utility Room Back Light, CC9F], LQI:242, age:4, inCost:5, outCost:7

Route Table Entry
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [HVAC leak, DD24] via [Utility Room Back Light, CC9F]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Utility Room Back Light, CC9F] via [Utility Room Back Light, CC9F]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Main Water Valve, 84EF] via [Utility Room Back Light, CC9F]

Several devices, including the ones that aren't recording, aren't even on this report.

I'll reach out to @aaiyar if I don't hear anything on this thread. A few months ago I researched a repeater for a different location and it seemed like this was a good one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DFPYV4K I haven't installed it yet, though.

Meh I forgot that LQI and in/out won't show up for child devices and since all of yours are children... well... no go.

I use ST plugs as repeaters. They work great, especially if you actually have something to plug into them.

I'm sure it is. There are cheaper alternatives out there. Sengled also makes some good plugs. Personally, for indoors, I find that TuYa USB zigbee 3.0 repeaters work really well.

2 Likes

Meaning that output doesn't tell us anything? Also, what's LQI?

LQI is a link quality indicator (index, whatever) - a measure of the strength of the link. 255 is the max. Usually like to see them well above 200 though opinions differ. Example of repeating devices from my mesh:

Ok. Thank you all. I'll pick up some repeaters and hopefully that helps.

Whatever light this is, it's not doing anything helpful, despite the high LQI, the hub is having trouble transmitting & receiving packets with it

2 Likes

Yeah, I thought that might be the case after re-reading the Zigbee mesh doc that cautions against light bulbs. That would explain why Main Water Valve has been flakey. I'll have to swap that out for a Sengled bulb. Thanks!

Just curious, I had the same exact setup/locations for these devices under SmartThings (v1 hub) and never had a problem. Is the radio different? Different routing?

If you switch the bulb to a Sengled bulb It will probably be even worse, if it remains connected at all. Make sure that you install the repeaters first. A mesh network should have multiple return routes to the hub for resiliency to rf interference, repeater failure, human error, etc.

Yes. There are many different radios and different Zigbee software stacks used by manufacturers.

You only have 1 repeating device and I think most bulbs would max out repeating for 3 devices, so everything else must be able to connect directly to the hub. It was only a matter of time before devices with weaker signals got bumped from the only router by stronger devices.

1 Like

Sorry, I meant switch to a Sengled bulb to replace the existing one which is acting (poorly) as a repeater. And then purchase proper repeating devices to install throughout the home. Sengled bulbs don't repeat, correct?

1 Like

Correct

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.