SmartThings: The End is Near

Well that sounds interesting. I will have to look into this in the new year. (my wife wont let me play with Hubitat during the holidays. Humbug!!!)

My plans were to use the Hubitat virtual thermostat DH. This works for temp but not RH.

If you try it, let me know if there is a use case that Mira doesn't provide as a sensor type. (like just RH without temperature). I'm trying to cover the most common patterns of sensors that HE users tend to have.

I wish they would bring the product back. It is still the best remote system out there.

2 Likes

Can you describe how your project would resolve the loss of control over lights from the Harmony remote? Please pretend I'm a little slow and make it simple for me. :wink:

1 Like

I made some assumptions:

• ST has support for the Harmony remote
  • Your lights are controlled (or can be moved over) by Hubitat

Mira can "mirror" your HE lights back over to ST as virtual lights. Use ST routines to bind your Harmony buttons to actions to turn on/off the virtual lights, which will forward the changes onto HE.

I'll offer another option here:

1 Like

I thought this was what was dying w/the end of groovy...so the part of the Harmony integration from @ogiewon that relies on ST will no longer work. Maybe I misunderstood? @JustinL - that's what you're referring to, right?

?

Does any part of @ogiewon's Harmony integration require ST?

The control of lights part:

See the "Home Control Button Support section.

1 Like

The old Groovy integration will definitely end. I assumed you had migrated the remote already to Edge vs something on Hubitat. [EDGE DEVICE] Simple Harmony Bridge **Alpha Testing** - Community Created Device Types - SmartThings Community

Correct, once ST shuts down the Groovy platform, the old official Logitech Harmony Hub integration with ST will end. Once that happens, the only way to use the Home Control buttons on a Harmony Hub Remote Control will be to use one of the other official integrations with Logitech, like Hue, Lutron, or Roku.

The “hack” used by my Hubitat integration for the Harmony Hub, relies on the use of virtual devices on the SmartThings platform, using the old ST-Harmony integration.

5 Likes

Ah ok. Understood. Bigger problem then for Harmony…

I punted in my home theater by tossing a minimote into the room to control lights. I also have an echo dot in there for voice control. But we rarely use either since the automation rule that dims lights and turns on floor LED’s when the “watch TV” activity is used gets the job done. The wall GE embrighten switch has a double tap rule to shut every thing on or off too just for kicks.

As for ST, I keep mine plugged with my Hue lights active only just for nostalgia reasons. I had unplugged it but later plugged it back in - no idea why. Might be fun tinkering with their new API one day.

1 Like

Are you aware of anything able to go the opposite direction? My TV's sound bar is apparently only supported in SmartThings, and I'd love to mirror it to Hubitat.

That said, the automation that uses it is currently just running in SmartThings, and will hopefully survive the change.

Gave up on ST almost five years ago after I got my C3 hub setup (can’t believe it’s been that long already). Haven’t regretted it for a moment since.

5 Likes

I am just so glad I did a little research and found this forum about 2 years ago. Read some posts of people recommending switches to use and started out straight away with Hubitat! I don't think I really even looked into ST at all, it never really came up in my searching.

2 Likes
2 Likes

HubiThings Replica can. It's robust, fast, and flexible and additional Replica Drivers are being built by the developer. (Individuals within the community at large are also welcome to create and contribute specialty drivers.) There is a particular focus right now to build more Replica Drivers for Samsung devices, and I expect we'll see those start to appear shortly after the holidays.

Feel free to post in the thread linked above or PM me directly to discuss the brand, model or capabilities of your soundbar and we'll take a look at what can be done to get you going.

2 Likes

I managed to get around 40 Smart Devices (including some Tuya/Cloud) and 20 Webcore Pistons ported over in around 24 hours.

The only thing that I can't get working is Sonos integration. I have playlists that play when I wake up or if I have trouble sleeping.

SmartThings was great with Sonos. You add any song, album, artist or playlist as a "favourite" in the Sonos app. Then call playPreset(n) from Piston/Rule to play the n-th favourite. It is easy, it works, its agnostic to the music source (Apple, spotify etc). Unfortunately, Hubitat requires me to find a URI to pass to playTrack(). I've not been able to find the URI's I need for Apple music.

Its disappointing that Sonos integration is provided by Hubitat as a built-in app yet it so poor - they seem to have spent 99% of development effort on Voice synthesis on Sonos. I've still not got a solution for playing music on my Sonos via Hubitat.

2 Likes

I've been a Smartthings user for the past 4 years and with all of the changes coming it was starting to break my custom automations and in general was flaky at times and slow. I just got a Hubitat Hub for Christmas and spend a chunk of the day yesterday moving devices over and setting up rules in Hubitat.

I had a lot of issue getting my Konnected system moved over as I had to do a complete wipe of the device to get it to work but generally things moved over fine. Setting up the automations/rules in Hubitat has been great and I was able to get most things back the way I want them with little issue. Overall Hubitat has been great and the automations are so much faster now.

I do have a WiFi Meross switch and a Wifi U-Bolt lock that don't have Hubitat support and my Arlo cameras have to be triggered through IFTT now as there is no native connection but all my Z-wave and Zigbee devices are working great.

Glad I made the switch

4 Likes