Smartthings presences sensor changing status every couple minutes

Hello guys,

This is starting to frustrate me a bit, I know it's not a defective smartthings device because I replaced it recently.

Anyone else using the presence sensor and does it keep going from arriving to departing even while you're home? I haven't left the house since I came in today at 12 pm

Anyone know how to fix this?

What is the battery level? I have seen SmartThings motion sensors respond similarly when they have a low battery.

1 Like

Change the battery. Constantly change the battery. They last a bit better in HE than ST but they still eat little wafer batteries, like I eat chezz-it's :rofl:

1 Like

Battery level is 100%.
I'm using this to rig it for longer battery life. It's running off of 2AA batteries because of the battery drainage I've experienced in the past. It was also recommended by users.

I was having quite a bit of issues with mine. Was almost ready to toss them in my drawer. I realized the wireless controller for my permanent Christmas lights was interfering with the zigbee mesh. I ended up changing the channel on it. I also put it on an outlet that powers it down as it is rarely used as the lights retain their last setting and have a different power source than the controller. Other devices did not seem to be affected so it was a bit tricky to narrow it down.

I also had to put mine on the dashboard as they were not as reliable in the door pocket/glove box/center console. I think with these especially your mileage may very.

I mainly just use mine for auto arming HSM when all cars are gone, notify me when my wife or in-laws arrive.

What zigbee channel are you using?

@Brandon and @Cobra I don't know how to verify the channel of the zigbee you guys are referring to because I posted screenshots of everything under devices, so if' it's not there, I'm not sure where to look.

Can either 1 of you post a screenshot of where to go to find the channel?

@Brandon, I also use it simply to arm/disarm HSM, nothing else.

Go to 'settings' then click 'Zigbee Details'

You should see your zigbee channel on the right...

1 Like

Thanks for that, I was expecting each to have it's own channel.

So know that I know mine is 25, even if I change it, wouldn't I run into the same issue since all zigbee devices will be on the same channel?

Zigbee is a 'mesh' network so all devices are always on the same channel
Most 'mains' powered device work as repeaters to 'ferry' messages between the hub and other devices.

I have found some devices do not like the higher channels
Most people seem to set the channel around 20-21
(21 seems to work well for me as you can see in my earlier screenshot)

If you do change the channel then it can take 24hrs or more for everything to realise and report in on the correct channel

Thank you,

I made my change to 21 as well, so I will see how thinks look in the next 24-48hrs

You’ve double-checked this isn’t a physical wiring issue or something with what you’ve rigged up?

If the device is frequently losing/restoring power, it’ll arrive and depart like that in your logs.

Otherwise, I agree with @Cobra that a lower frequency zigbee channel is worth trying; I have a few devices that seem to just ignore 25 or 26, but work fine on a lower channel.

1 Like

It did this same thing before I even had the rig for power on a different smartthing presence sensor. I only got a new 1 because I lost the 1st, but this issue was happening with that running off the regular battery. I assumed that's why it was happening because I could put a brand new batter in on Sat. and it's at 40% come Thurs and 0% in another week.

That is probably because you were using Zigbee channel 25... Channel 25 and 26 are low power channels (as dictated by the FCC)... Lower power equals lower range. Your devices where probably at the fringe of reception range. At the fringe, they will connect and disconnect, as you were experiencing, and they will be powering on the radio transmitter more often than needed, causing extremely increased battery usage.

You have changed to channel 21... That will increase the range of the device (and the range of your HE as well)... Give your Zigbee mesh a few days to readjust and your problems will more than likely be resolved. You probably won't even need the external battery...

Yes I did change the channel to 21. I will also just change the battery in my fiance presence sensor and not rig that 1 yet to see if I get better battery life as well.

Thanks for that explanation

I'm using three with the battery hack. Performing flawlessly for several months now.

1 Like

Are you also on channel 21 or lower and if you check your logs, do you see the frequent arrival and departure while at home?

Yes, and no, never changes unless our presence does

1 Like

I’ve just changed the batteries in my 3 - After 2 1/2 years!

Andy

2 Likes

@Cobra what brand of batteries are you using? (2 AA mod I assume)
I am just using rechargeable AA and only get 4-6 months from them
(I don't wait for them to die as soon as they report less than 60% I change them out).
I was thinking of changing my mod from 2 AA to 3 AA.