SmartThings Presence Sensor Battery Percentage

by the way...

bv == battery voltage in tenths of a volt...

28 = 2.8 volts

I would say it's not going to work at much below a bv of 16. The AA's should last a very long time. If not, time to find a case for those easy to hide C cells :smiley:

Nice suggestion !

Thanks
Surprised cars or garage door openers don't have this feature built in as a safety feature.

incase the command start is accidently triggered on the car or one of the kids gets out in the garage and manages to start the car.
Keeps them safe from carbon monoxide posioning.
I also have a bedroom right above the garage.
So if a car was running all night it could seep into the bedroom it shouldn't but lots of things happen that shouldn't.

1 Like

Just wanted to say thanks to everybody for the great idea and everyone else for the pictures that made me believe this was easy enough for me to do.

I just rigged one up and it seems to work great!!

1 Like

Just wanted to post that I did the battery hack on two ST Presence sensors about a month ago. I was having very little success with the app and other presence methods. Since putting these in mine and wife's vehicles we have had 100% presence success (knock on wood) We have turned off the phone location and use way less phone battery now which is a also plus.

1 Like

I'm no electronics guru and was wondering if adding the two AA batteries increases the range of the device? Because of the layout of my house the range is close to 40' but the signal has to go though the metal skin of the car, a metal garage door, garage cabinets loaded with stuff, an exterior wall, another exterior wall and finally an interior wall to reach the hub.

I suppose I could test it using a contact sensor but they seen to have limited range.

Iā€™m not an electronics guru either, but I can say with some confidence that the answer is no.

2 AA batteries does nothing more than extend the useful life of the device in between battery changes.