SmartThings finally announces dates for the sunset of the Classic App, and more

I've been studiously ignorning ST's prompts to try the new app until today. I still have my V2 hub running for Echo & Logitech integrations, AskAlexa, SMS and ActionTiles; also a score of automations (using shadowed HE devices) that I just never bothered to migrate. Only a half dozen real devices still on the ST platform; thankfully all using built-in device handlers.

Was kind of surprised after installing the new app (and relieved, since I can kick the can down the road yet again) to see that I could still access all my old SmartApps-- among them the original CoRE as well as WebCoRE and Bruce's original Rule Machine for ST. Aside from a few missing parameters when I tried editing existing automations in those apps, I had no major issues, though it seems lacking a bit of detail in a few areas. Strange that there is still no clarity re: the ultimate fate of key groovy apps like WebCoRE.

I have to say that in spite of ST's well publicized cloud issues, I've been impacted by very few once they fixed their scheduler years ago. Maybe the shard I'm on is just less problematic. The ST hub itself also has never needed any attention whatsoever. But having been through a platform shutdown in the past (CM15A ActiveHome) it's clear that cloud dependency is not a viable long term solution unless you enjoy forced migrations. I have no issues (and actually prefer) maintaining HE for local device control and ST for the cloud integrations that it does very well... as long as a solution like HubConnect is there to tie them together.

Hmmmm... :thinking:

I am not 100% sure, but based on your list of integrations above, you might be able to unplug your ST hub and have everything still work. Well, at least until ST shuts down the Legacy Groovy IDE. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Once I migrate those devices and remaining automations, I probably could unplug the hub. But in addition to the real devices it's still running I still use it occasionally (most recently for verifying firmware levels of some Iris devices I bought) and when trying to troubleshoot a device that is having issues on HE.

If ST custom apps go away, I'd really miss ask AskAlexa the most. I really don't think it has any true equivalent in the HE ecosystem. It was a pain getting it set up in AWS but I'm completely spoiled by how capable it is. Hopefully since it already runs on its own cloud instance it may survive the transition.

1 Like

I am sure I'd go berserk with boredom were it not for periodic forced migrations!

1 Like

The new app will not load on my phone, so its either another new phone or another HE at less than half the price

1 Like

Glad I migrated everything ofto HE. I'm still doing EchoSpeaks, with Hubconnect to keep that processing off the HE, I'll ride that out until it dies off... My v2 like others sits in a drawer. Maybe I can get $20 out of it.

Yup. We chatted about it over in the ST community before I made my decision to migrate. Once I get to migrating the shield I use to tap into my unused hardwired security system, I'll ask for some pointers.

1 Like

Wonder if there is anyway of flashing a ST v2 hub into something useful :innocent:

Got it right this time... I hope.
I stuck with X10 long after they disappeared. Moved to ST when I really had no choice. I was ready to jump when they started talking about dropping Classic. So happy that I moved to HE before things got ugly. And this time I got to keep my hardware.

2 Likes

RIP ST. I unplugged it a few days ago.

2 Likes

I think the SmartThing platform still has a good use. Not as home automation but as a way for hubitat or Node Red to call a SmartThings endpoint every minute or so. A watchdog that if the endpoint fails to be called within a certain period of time it fires off a text letting you know your network is offline. No need to have the hub plugged in. Its just a free platform to do basic things. Even when they kill off Groovy there still should be a way of performing useful operations.

And a way to update firmware on SmartThings devices

2 Likes

I just moved ES to my HE from SmartThings yesterday with 8 of my echos. 24 hrs and the hub is still just as speedy as before installing. I did further limit the hub event history to 25, just in case.

1 Like

Good to know! I'll leave it alone until it dies on ST. For now I really only use it for one rule machine rule - motion for the first time each day in the kitchen, Echo Speaks chooses a 'good morning' phrase then give the forecast. Simple and entertaining, especially when the dogs trip it and we're still in bed!

I've never meant to insinuate Echo Speaks causes slowness, just assumed it a best practice to keep as much off the hub as possible.

It was previously known to be a bit tasking on the hub, which is why I had moved it back to SmartThings last year. Seeing the huge performance increase my hub got, courtesy of the latest update, I thought this would be the perfect time to revisit this on Hubitat, especially considering that the clock is ticking on the demise of this app on SmartThings.

I only have Arlo and harmony left on smartstings

I now have 4 SmartThings hub's added to my equipment museum along with lots of X10 and other devices. Nothing seems to last anymore I used to get 10 years out of a platform and now it seems to be a 2 to 3 year cycle. At least the ZigBee and Z-Wave devices stayed mostly compatible and don't have to gut switches and endpoints like I did when removing X10 and PCS switches.

1 Like

Theoretically HE should last until the hardware gives out... so you might regain some of that longevity.

1 Like

Smartthings should just have built another hub that works completely differently that works with different hardware.............Oh hang on, they have done that with their existing hubs

After watching Samsung release a bleeding edge prosumer dslr with HVEC encoded 4K recording and high end lens options, and then just axe the entire camera division, I can only imagine that they are making these changes to the platform so that they can bail on that as well.

1 Like