SmartThings finally announces dates for the sunset of the Classic App, and more

I just had a look at the st forum. If a read right seems not a single dev has managed to make much of anything custom work under the new system. With only 2 months til deadline.

1 Like

The Groovy IDE isn't shutting down in 2 months. The only requirement by then is that all your DTH and app comply with the new capabilities reference. So, stop using custom attributes and commands. The Groovy IDE will still work after October, from what I understand.

1 Like

Hmm classic app shut down at that time. Does that not mean that many many custom integrations break if the devs can't get anything working in the new system?

I just answered that question.

That means custom "integrations" (smartapps) and DTH's will still work after december...at least from what I've been able to figure out.

Okie dokie guess I read it wrong then.

They need to improve their Google integration too..give us some love

You could be right but nothing on there says “this is the complete 2020 schedule”. The latest date on there is October and “Fall” from what I see. Nothing says it’s a comprehensive list from my reading. You could certainly be right but it seems like more reading between the lines. Their official answer on groovy is just TBD. I think anything other than that is just using beat guesses.

1 Like

So these are the posts I'm referring sure seems like the devs are saying nothing works right under the new system. What they are doing with the groovy ide an aside from the fact that things don't seem to work right in the new system.

Well, no...because if the groovy IDE wasn't going away, no one would have to use the new system. They would just continue to use the Groovy IDE. They have not announced when folks will have to move to the new API system yet. That's my whole point. The Groovy IDE shutdown date has not been announced yet.

Well i guess we'll have to agree to disagree. The devs in the thread I posted seem quite concerned about it.

You think that they have announced the date of the Groovy IDE shutting down? What is it?

Never once hqve I said that. You did.

2 Likes

What does this mean for HubConnect do you think?

1 Like

RIP Smartthings

1 Like

SmartThings has mentioned a WebSocket (SSE) that they are developing. I've heard nothing further. Maybe it's done, maybe not. I asked, got no answer. :frowning:

Any decision to alter ST's HubConnect's feature set lives with @srwhite. He's still 'Gone Camping" Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 9.48.58 AM and I'm not expecting to hear from him for a couple more months. :smiley:

5 Likes

HubConnect 'should' continue to work for a while, hopefully until SmartThings shuts down their Legacy Groovy IDE. They have mentioned that they intend to do so sometime in 2021.

Update: There may be some issues due to differences in the Classic SHM versus the New STHM. Not sure HubConnect will be able to handle those differences without modifications.

1 Like

Me, too. I thought I would stay with ST forever.

I've really loved ST, which I've been using since 2014. I've done some custom work, used the Arduino Thingshield for a few projects, and so on. ST was so cool compared with everything else -- who else even thought of having a shield for the tinkerers among us?

I just cannot stay with them when they abandon the functional (but perhaps visually inelegant) classic app in favor of the new app; there is some anecdotal evidence that the "forced" app migration, which started recently, is a big mess. I don't intend to be around when they get rid of the backend next year some time.

My HE migration is well underway, and I should be done by 10/14, when they turn off the classic app.

1 Like

If you’re still using your ThingShield, please know that it will work on Hubitat using my HubDuino libraries. :wink:

3 Likes

Does this change mean that all the xiaomi device handlers are no longer going to work too?

Besides my security integration, I never did anything too crazy, aside from attempting to set up an ultrasonic sensor to measure my rain barrel level and refill it if it got too low so it wouldn't burn out my pump. Instead, condensation shorted out my power leads for my ESP8266. So glad I opted to build that with a $5 board rather than my antique ThingShield!

I think at this point I'm almost entirely moved over, need to start figuring out how to sell my old hub...