Smarthings motion sensor won't configure to work

At the end of setting converting to Hubitat. Last device a Smarthings Motion Sensor. It grabs the Generic Motion Sensor and connects, but there is only temperature that it reads. I tried another Smarthings ZigBee V4 driver and it does not properly register motion either.

Any experience or a master list of motion sensors that work with Hubitat Hub? Is there another driver that will work and or recommendation of another manufacture that will work?

Here is the list of compatible devices.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Compatible_Devices

Make sure to click on "Configure" from the device page.

Which Motion Sensor is it - there are at least 4 generations of SmartThings Motion sensors.

I have three different models - all work fine.

All generations of the SmartThings motion sensors are on that list, so it should not be a problem. As mentioned above, it definitely can't hurt to hit "Configure," though an automatically selected driver should send the appropriate configuration as part of the installation (but definitely do so if you changed it yourself from another driver).

So beyond the above advice, I guess I'd just make sure it's in good range of your mesh (if you haven't moved over any powered devices or none are close to the hub or device, this could be a problem--not unheard of when you're switching from one hub to another, though probably not likely if you were able to successfully pair it in the same location you're using it) and that you have good batteries (with these I normally notice a bunch of false "motion: active" readings, seconds apart, when they're dying, but I guess anything is possible).

Good point on the batteries. Every now and then I have gotten a brand new, in box, sensor that hasn't worked reliably upon installation and it turned out to be a flat battery.

Thanks Generic lists: Temp, Motion, battery. Lists battery at 100% (probable as it's nearly new), temp with a rather large offset to reality, and Motion which lists inactive all the time regardless of motion.
I have tried the configure button and nothing changes.

Not sure which generation. Bought it new a couple months ago. Connected to ST and worked fine.
M/N IM6001-MTP01

Have you tried removing the battery for a minute or so and then replacing it?

That's the only other thing I can think of.

This is definitely on the list of working devices by M/N number.

Smartthings released a firmware update for these devices a while back that broke motion detection... I got hit with the bug on several of mine... Temperature reading and battery reading continued to work but not motion... I have 4 of these that are paper weights..

1 Like

Battery is : 3.035V so it's essentially 100%

That's a possible lead. I have been off of SmartThings long enough that none of mine would have gotten that firmware update.

I just checked - all of mine are using the Generic Zigbee Motion Sensor driver - so that appears to be correct.

Thanks! What is a good equivalent motion product?

I mainly use the iris v2 motion sensors.. you can pick them up cheap off ebay…

But I also use various multi-sensors.. like the inovelli 4 in 1 and aeotec multi-sensor 6..

I have multiple motion sensors in every room

1 Like

Actually, that might be nearly dead. :slight_smile: New lithium batteries usually measure around 3.2V for me. By the time they get down to 3.0, they're usually dead or nearly so, and anything at or below about 2.9V is usually one I've discover that's been dead for a while. So if it were me with my multimeter (you can compare it to a new, known-good battery in case mine is just differently calibrated), that's a battery that's possibly still good but on the fringe of dying.

Not saying this is the problem, just something to consider. Battery readings from devices are also notoriously unreliable, so while 100% is usually promising, it's still nothing I'd count on.

2 Likes

It's worth trying a new battery (IMO).
I don't trust the battery readings on any of these devices.

1 Like

Thank You all for the responses. For some reason this morning the sensor was working. I will change the battery soon, but for now toggles fine. ZigBee network?

Another observation. Slightly different topic. When making a simple lighting control for a light and sensor, I was not able to get the app to save when saying done. Changed from MS Edge to Chrome browser and it finished saving and it works. I guess Edge is not a browser to use with Hubitat.

Your guess is correct:

I'm guessing the new Chromium-based version will be fine (the one with the more colorful icon), but I don't think I'll ever use it anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I've been playing around with the "New" Edge for about a week, and as much as I hate to admit it, I like it. So far, I haven't noticed any compatibility issues with HE. IMO, the main difference between it and Chrome is with resource usage (less CPU and memory).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.