Smart Vibrator (no not that kind)

Wondering if there is any way to rig up a vibrating pillow alarm or bed shaker or if something already exists with z-wave or something compatible to Hubitat?

I just recently put in 11 first alert z-wave zcombo fire alarms and those now flash all my lights, send alerts to my various devices, and a few other actions, but trying to figure out some kind of mechanism to vibrate my bed while I am sleeping.

Smart plug (or other plug) and a sander with a bunch of zip ties to the frame should work. :thinking:

5 Likes

Get a coin operated bed and plug it into a z-wave outlet.

Ok, I have nothing constructive to add.

4 Likes

Battery Operated Boyfriend turned up to 11 might actually work, all you need to get is the remote control type (that'll probably be Bluetooth), get it to pair and then just use the signals it uses to trigger at a given time at a given volume...

You could use something like macrodroid on a smartphone - use to run a macro that triggers the functions in the app for Mr. Buzzy for when you want the alarm to go off...

It'd do exactly what you need anyway :joy::joy:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vibrating-Micro-Motor-Adhesive-Coin-8x3-4mm/dp/B0888BN1DD&ved=2ahUKEwj_jcOW66P_AhXBiVwKHdaBCKsQFnoECAkQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1ABA8s34on8rb0NGRhDBhP

Konnected // nodemcu

Thats exactly what I use these for, for waking the kids. Equivalent of your phone being left on vibrate, left on the bed somewhere.

Could you not wear a smart watch that can vibrate in response to notifications on a smartphone?

Yes, but the watch needs to charge, which is typically at night. Unless I'm getting a separate watch that charges during the day and remembering to put it on at night. Would prefer a more permanent solution that doesn't require remembering to do something every night.

I can go for weeks without charging my Garmin watch....

Ok, this looks like the way I should be going. How exactly would I rig this up so hubitat would be able to interact with it? From a physical standpoint.

Would also need to be connected to a phone and something on phone interfacing to watch. Just to many potential points of breakdown for my liking.

I'm leaning towards the idea djl presented, though I don't think I need an entire wired alarm system for this.

I'm also in the US.

Mine is pretty solid connecting via Bluetooth and notifying me of HE notifications on my phone, but I won't keep harping on about it, glad to hear you have a potential solution to pursue.

Looks like I'm going to try something like this with a zwave plug.

Putec Vibration Motor X07 Small AC Concrete Vibrator Screen Vibrating Single Phase 110V 60HZ 30W For Sand Shaking Table https://a.co/d/6pTSyAp

I hope my bed doesn't fall apart. Not sure how to tell how strong it would be.

I already have zwave outlets in my room, so I can utilize one of those.

Thanks for the ideas!

Edit: changed motor for one with built in mechanical switch and plug.

1 Like

You do know you don't need an alarm system, right?

All you need is a nodemcu for about £3, a USB psu and one of those vibrating plates....

The sand shaker? At s guess, it'll cause damage over time.

I have used one of these to create the old style "magic fingers" for a bed in an RV (though the one I used was 90W). Be prepared to adjust the weights to the minimal amount of shake. It's pretty powerful even on the lowest setting.