Smart Toggle Switch

C7: current release

Asking for guidance. What smart toggle switches currently work reliably and connect directly to Hubitat without the need for another hub product?

Somewhat new and would like to replace a couple wall switches. I have some single and some three way. Also, have a light/fan with dimmer.

I would prefer that the switch would still work in the event that the hub was offline.

Recommendations? I see the list of compatible devices, but get lost in the choices and still not confident in the reliability.

Thanks to any who care to comment.

Been using the Inovelli Red 2-1 Series without issue. In 3-way scenarios I suggest getting their "Aux" switches. This allows you to control the dimming levels from any switch.

They are getting ready to release their canopy fan module to control lights/fan. You can zigbee bind these to their 2-1 blue series switches, or wait until their scene controller is released this year.

I've been testing the canopy module, and it looks extremely promising.

1 Like

I may have a firm reason to try some Inovelli stuff once this all launches. Good fan control is severely lacking in the market right now. I have always been watching their products but get deterred by the price.

Anyway... for switches/dimmers. it really depends on what features you want.

• Do you have a lot of 3-way switches?
  • Do you want to be able to do 3-way synced dimming?
  • Do you want a programable LED bar to use for notifications?
  • Looking for Budget, or best features?
  • Looking to buy at a local store or online?

I do recommend using mostly dimmers where possible, the cost is usually about the same and even if you only use 100% brightness the option is still there if you do want to dim the lights.

Zooz is what I use, they are low cost and can be used in a 3-way with any standard dumb 3-way switch. They also have a good feature set with many settings so it can be used in almost any situation. Supports up to 5x button taps. If you do want to check out Zooz, you can find links to all the products on my custom driver post, if you buy through those affiliate referral links in my post it supports my driver work: [DRIVER] Zooz ZEN Switches Advanced (and Dimmers)

Inovelli are a little more innovative and have more front facing features, but cost is a little more, and they sometimes run out of stock due to high demand. I think they have at least all similar features and functions of Zooz plus probably more (I do not actually own any). They do have the fancy programmable LED bar which is an upgrade from the basic LED that Zooz uses.

The other most popular would be the GE/Enbrighten/Jasco devices. A lot of people buy these at local hardware stores. They have minimal settings and flashy features but seem to work good for people. They at least do have Double Tap button support so you can use them for some "scene" programming.

1 Like

Thanks to both for replies.

Looking for only basic features and to be able to use the toggle in a traditional “dumb” fashion if the hub is down.

Online purchase is acceptable.

I am understanding Zooz, Inovelli, and GE/Embrighton/Jasco all have reasonable reliability. Will all three continue to function at the wall if the hub goes down?

Yes, as far as I know they all will, in the standard configuration. I have all my Zooz setup this way and both the Smart switch and the dumb 3-way attached will work to turn the light on and off without the hub.

1 Like

All 3 work with the hub down.

I've stepped away from GE as all of mine never report correctly (on/off) on the hub.