Smart Switch that doesn't require a neutral?

These are switches and sockets that look just like normal ones but the switch actually moves when controlled through automation. They build up a charge in an internal capacitor that is enough to do this magnetically. They are actually in reality mechanical switches.

Before anyone asks there is no published API yet but they work with Alexa and Google, (and they can't toggle as fast as shown above - they need about 50 seconds between toggles for the capacitor to recharge).. and they are very loud when they klunk over.

That’s cool and pretty useful in some ways. They only have UK switches?

I preordered a couple of these. Hopefully they work out.

https://inovelli.com/shop/smart-light-switches/pre-order-z-wave-dimmer-switch-no-neutral-required-scenes-notifications/

@jeubanks sorry I'm was on the road for work. I live in the Charleston Area.

@leeonestop down in the southern parts... :slight_smile:

I am very interested in these new Inovelli switches. Unable to find info on new version LED dimming bulb type support, minimum load etc. I am very sensitive to buzzing sounds so bad dimmer / bulb issue worry me as I am shop for dimmer switches, especially with comments above in this thread of more spent on dimmable LED's than smart switches.

Was hoping for less smart bulbs and using z-wave dimmer switches for, hallways, bathroom, kitchen. I like how Inovelli Z-Wave switch can disable internal relay and work with smart bulbs with scene controls. Some fixtures are smaller 2 bulb like hallway, cannot find minimum load specs at Inovelli site.

Also read some reports that switches that don't require a neutral can cause an always on light glow to occur with LED bulbs in fixture, can anyone speak to if this is a concern? I have Neutral wires more just want best dimmer that I hope won't buzz.

Lutron Caseta line looks nice and I like Pico possibilities but yet another hub isn't a plus in my mind and the Caseta Pro hub seems hard to find and pricey up here in Canada, anyone know of best source to get Pro hub as a Canadian?

I guess with Inovelli if one has buzzing issues can just disable relay and fall back to smart bulbs.... Anyone experiences are appreciated, as it would be preferable to not sample all hardware and be stuck with a box or products that don't work out or don't match.

Realistically, no one will know for sure on the new Inovelli switches until they come out and are actually in people's hands. Anything before that is simply guessing/conjecture.

@ericm May be able to comment on the minimum load specs and/or LED compatibility, though. Although my guess is that it is too early to tell, as the design doesn't seem to be 100% final yet (?).

While I've been very vocally critical about Inovelli's supply chain disasters over the past year, If the new models are actually in people's hands in May I'll be very happily surprised/impressed.

The new devices look great.

Yes few things make Inovelli look attractive if they come to fruition and are solid. I really like the idea of matching switches that can work for locations using dumb bulbs in fixtures and locations using smart bulbs without different switch hardware on walls, easy on guests, traditional style for basic usage.

Also the ability as smart bulb collection grows or sales happen to transition fixtures to smart bulbs for extra features such as time of day colour temperature controls without having to add button remote.... or for that matter move back to dumb bulbs and only have to re enable relay. Seems to be the only company making such a feature set in their hardware at this time and its not really available either lol

I see these LUT-MLC for low load on Lutron Caseta to deal with low LED load / no neutral wire issue, I wonder would these work or similar products be available for other switches that exhibit similar low load problem behavior perhaps.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.