Smart+ plugs not refreshing reliably

I've connected 10 Osram Smart+ Plugs using the Generic Zigbee Outlet driver. They are switched in 3 groups. Switching appears to work absolutely reliably so far for all devices but sometimes the status doesn't update for a random device. Only an explicit Configure or Refresh command will fix it. All plugs and the hub are within a few meters of each other. According to what I've read here in other threads refreshing should work reliably with this driver and a manual refresh should never be necessary. Any suggestions how to fix this?

Zigbee self heals. So don't beat on things right away.
Look into zigbee logging and see what your signals look like. Sounds to me that things aren't talking well for some reason. What channel is your hub set to as well? If you look at your routing table, you might be able to see a hint of what might be happening. You can see that by youripaddress/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo
Post some shots of your results.

1 Like

Zigbee is set to channel 20. I've seen the problem with a few devices but currently I can only reproduce it with the one that is routed through another outlet (S8). Curiously I also get 3 other devices that show up as being routed through themselves.

status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [S3: Desk Lamp, F233] via [S3: Desk Lamp, F233]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [S7: Sideboard Lamp, 41AA] via [S7: Sideboard Lamp, 41AA]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [S6: TV Mood, F46C] via [S6: TV Mood, F46C]
status:Active, age:32, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [S8: Bed Mood, 999F] via [S1: Front Main, 39C3]

I've moved the hub to a more central location. Now only the remotes are actually routed but again I have two "fake" routes from plugs routing to themselves:

status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Switch 3, 980A] via [S1: Front Main, 39C3]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Switch 2, EDB7] via [S2: Rear Main, 7780]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [S6: TV Mood, F46C] via [S6: TV Mood, F46C]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [S9: Computer Mood, E428] via [S9: Computer Mood, E428]

Any routed plug (including the self-routed ones) exhibits this problem. Commands are routed reliably to the devices but the status doesn't always find its way back to the hub. I was hoping to eventually solve this by adding actual repeaters so the plugs wouldn't do any routing but that probably won't help against the fake routes.

I think that it is common for devices that are repeaters to show up routing for themselves. I have seen this with most of my Zigbee devices. I will also say it can take many days for the Zigbee mesh to stabilize and find the best routes.
Also; did you hit configure in the device page after switching to the generic zigbee outlet driver? I have five Sylvania plugs that have been very reliable repeaters.

It is.

1 Like

That will probably not work, as there is no way to disable the 'repeater' portion of a Zigbee device. Some devices will probably still end up using these plugs as repeaters. I have seen some crazy Zigbee routes in my home! :wink:

One question for you... Do you have any Zigbee lightbulbs in this same Zigbee mesh network? If yes, how many and what brand? Most Zigbee bulbs are well behaved when used with other zigbee bulbs. But often, these bulbs have problems when used alongside Zigbee Home Automation 1.2 devices, like switches, outlets, dimmers, motion sensors, leak detectors, and contact sensors. The only bulbs that are designed to not cause issues are Sengled bulbs, as they are designed to NOT be Zigbee repaters.

1 Like

They were set up fresh and never used with another driver but I did run Configure for all of them just now to make sure. I don't think I ran it before (at least not for all devices).

There are only Osram Smart+ plugs and Osram Smart+ remotes in this mesh for now.

Something weird about the Osram plugs. I couldn't get them to work reliably with HE so I moved all of them to the Phillips bridge hoping for better luck. They are better on the Hue bridge but still not a 100%.

1 Like

I have never had any problems with these. Mine say Sylvania Smart+ on the front (and are U.S. version).
I think that only the older plugs will pair with Hue. I have read that they say Sylvania on the front, but not Smart+. Unless of coarse you are in the U.K. Then we are probably talking about completely different things.

The bulb won't pair with HUE in North America. The plug will pair with fine. It's tricky but with Phillips hue finder.
My biggest mistake was updating all my bulbs 2 years ago. Otherwise I would have them on the Hue bridge instead of giving them away.

1 Like

I have started getting problems with these plugs recently.
For me they have completely vanished from the zigbee network (if I check the secret url). All lamps work perfectly fine. The plugs can't be controlled and will not respond.

Looking at the device details, they all stopped responding at the same time. I checked the system log but there was nothing out of the ordinary happening at that time.

I assume you mean the routing and child device table. Iā€™m pretty sure that the table only shows directly connected repeating devices and what they are routing. Not all devices are shown. Have you tried resetting the devices and pairing them back? Also, other misbehaving zigbee devices may be causing them to lose connection. I have most of my repeaters within 10-15 feet of the hub near the center of the house (where my hubs are located) or fairly directly above on the second floor. For devices to repeat through the plugs, they have to look like the best option available. All of mine that are well used have a LQI of 246 or better.

Did you guys find any fix to this issue? I also got a pair of Osram plugs. They work fine for a couple of hours after pairing, but after a while they don't respond anymore to remote commands.
The weird thing is that, if I change the state from the button and hit refresh in the device page, the status of the plug gets refreshed. :expressionless: But I cannot do it remotely.
Another thing I noticed is that the switch of the plug changes its state randomly (after a couple of hours).

If you are talking about these

I have never had one of mine do that. They have been on my network since the beginning, and have worked well. You may have other devices that are scrambling your zigbee mesh and causing the disconnects.

I also had issues with the Sylvania plugs being very unreliable. They sell 2 versions that are nearly identical except the Ledvance version seems much more reliable on my mesh.
I added some Tradfri repeaters to strengthen my zigbee mesh and that seems to have helped with the Osram version, but I think I'm down to only 2 of them, on the periphery of my mesh. If I ever make it back to Ikea they'll be gone. :slight_smile:

I have the newer version that ends in ā€œAā€, made by Ledvance.