Smart locks for UK multi-point lock

Hiya, just checking back in on the latest and best solution for a smart lock in the UK that supports UPVC multi point locks. My ideal would be as follows.
-ideally zigbee
-able to "lift up" the handle via a motor to engage the locking mechanism in the door
-work with a key pad
-be controllable and monitorable via Hubitat

I've looked at a few, but as others have pointed out its a big investment to get wrong. The Danalock looks most suitable from my research.

I'd really appreciate a push in the right direction from someone with more knowledge of this than me.

I don't think the Danalock will engage the multi-point locks. I was looking for something a year or more ago but got nowhere. All the ones I looked at required the handle to be lifted so it seemed pointless automating the locks.

1 Like

Don't understand why they don't, the American ones can move a massive bolt and the multiple point locks are not stiff as the door is already in place at that point. So they should have enough power to move them into place.

I have even wire at the door for the home someone designs one that works in the door.

Itā€™s two separate mechanisms though so there would need to be two devices. The smart locks are only acting on the euro cylinder. The cylinder either throws a mortice bolt if present or locks the gearbox to prevent the multi points disengaging if thereā€™s no bolt (I have two of each arrangement). The gearbox and multi point strips are not standard either. I wanted to change my two without mortice to with (I have microswitches to show whether theyā€™re locked/unlocked and Iā€™d prefer them to only show locked when the bolt is thrown - not just when the handle is raised) I couldnā€™t locate matching parts.

About 10 years ago when I was doing a lot of Access Control work, there was a company making a motorized gearbox and multipoint strip. However that wasnā€™t ā€˜smartā€™; it was just a 12V DC fail secure lock. Itā€™s all possible but no manufacturer is doing it.

According to the Ultion website the Nuki does support Lifting The Handle functionality....

But from looking at other threads the Pro version of these locks do not have open APIs. I cannot ascertain if this version is Pro though.

'When you pass through the door lift the handle as normal and all locking features are available' It kind of defeats the object of an auto locking door. It's not automatic as it requires user intervention. If you walk through the door and do not lift the handle, the door will not lock - it can't, as mechanically the cylinder is prevented from rotating until the handle is lifted.

So if you're ok with having to remember to lift the handle (many people do this as it pulls the door tighter into its seal than it does just closing it) then that's fine as many of the smart locks work that way.

1 Like

I bought the lock linked below well over a year ago now and it has been brilliant. I do (rarely) forget to pull up the handle when I leave the house but the door is still locked (just not multipoint secure) so thatā€™s comforting. Pulling the handle up as you leave really isnā€™t a big deal and it becomes muscle memory quite quickly.

The best thing isnā€™t the locking - itā€™s the no keys for unlocking! The fingerprint has been working very effectively. My wife and I love being able to come and go and not worry ever about keys.

Also itā€™s been in use around 14 months and the battery is now on 60% which is pretty efficient.

A handy feature weā€™ve used a lot is remote unlocking and temporary keycodes for the cleaner or guests. My mum stubbornly refuses to use fingerprint so we gave her one of the fobs and sheā€™s happy with that.

Itā€™s expensive (which is kind of reassuring) and an excellent bit of kit. Might be the most used and appreciated part of our whole smart home setup..

https://www.smartlock.co.uk/collections/all/products/copy-of-smartlock-slimline-universal-smart-lock-silver?variant=40734575329480

That link doesn't work. I looked at the site and there's only the Prolock which is WiFi rather than Z-Wave or Zigbee.

I guess it's just locking the handle in place if it's not lifted to engage the multipoint. I wonder if this depends on the uPVC door and its mechanism as my doors will not lock unless the handle is lifted and the multipoint engaged.

Sorry I just copied the link from earlier without checking it. Hereā€™s a link to a youtube video describing the lock and installation in detail: https://youtu.be/TpXbN23uTm0?feature=shared

When it locks the door it effectively disengages the handle. So if youā€™re on the outside of the door you can move the handle down but it doesnā€™t do anything. If youā€™re on the inside of the door moving the handle down still works and the door will open (ideal for emergency exits).

Mine is wifi and thereā€™s a little hub thingy that plugs inside the house if you want to use remote unlocking. You can use remote unlocking without the hub but you would need to be in bluetooth range.

1 Like

TTLock has an API that you have to register for (but it's free to do so). I've been experimenting with it from the command line (i.e., using curl) and it seems to work OK, but I've not had the bandwidth to turn it into a Hubitat app (I think it would wind up having to be an app+device driver combo, and would also have to deal with keeping and refreshing OAuth tokens). Not a huge deal, but this would be my first time building a non-trivial Hubitat app from scratch, and I don't really have time right now.

When I have time I'll try to at least post a step-by-step on how to register for TTLock's API, and get set up as far as I've got so far (which is includes refreshing the tokens manually, and issuing API calls from curl... but at least that might give other people what they need to get started.

1 Like

Iā€™m using Loqed here, a Dutch brand but works great on my porch door. Iā€™m
Not sure if it supports the lifting part, but worth a look see.

Itā€™s integrated in to HE via HA, but there is an API, I just havenā€™t explored that part as yet.