Smart Life (Tuya) vs Kasa (TP-Link)?

I've been doing this as well, actually both. I have HomeAssistant installed. When our internet went out, I could verify control of devices still worked without issue. Although, Google Assistant did fail, so I could only control them through a control panel.

When the network is up (99% of the time, my outage was an anomaly), control through Google and remote has been solid.

Given the success of our Kasa buttons, we've been integrating more Kasa (TP-Link) devices over older items we have.

When you said there's a native app/driver available for Hubitat. Is the native part because it doesn't have to be flashed to different firmware.

I just received my Hubitat hub and I have some Tp-Link/Kasa switches and dimmers.

I do not believe that is the case. I believe it is a community supported app/driver.

2 Likes

I wasn't quite sure of what was meant by native

TP-Link Bulbs/Plugs. No flashing required. Community Supported app/driver set for Hubitat. The devices can be installed manually or using the application. The GitHub site is at:

The site includes a Wiki with installation instructions. Questions can be addressed to me.

Dave

4 Likes

Thanks for responding and providing the info. I knew there wasn't any flashing required I just got a little confused about what was meant by native. I read through your Wiki a few days ago in preparation of my HE hub arriving. Received it yesterday now I just have to do the install. Not sure if I should do the manual install or the integrated installation. Thanks for your support.

2 Likes

When installing the drivers do I stop after it's saved or do I need to keep going to load the driver and add virtual devices.

Thanks

There is no specific order. You can load the drivers for all your different TP-Link devices or one at a time. You can then go to tea or coffee and comback later to create the devices in Hubitat using the Virtual Device.

Not knowing your experience level.....

Are you doing a manual installation? If so, after saving the driver, create a virtual device for each of your TP-Link device. Creating includes entering:

• Device Name (i.e., TP-Link Color Bulb)
  • Device Label (i.e., Couch Right)
  • Let Hubitat create the Device Network ID
  • Pick the driver type from the pull-down menu. These are the driver internal name (displayed on the Drivers Code Page).
  • Save the device

The Device's page will then come up. You need to enter the local Wifi Device IP for your device and then save preferences. Device IP example: 192.168.0.122.

Make sure you set static IP address for the device in your local router.

Dave

Thanks for responding. As far as experience I am totally new to HE.
For now I have 2 switches and 2 dimmers I am installing using the integrated installation. Not really sure of the difference in the methods other than the integrated will look for the device on the network if it gets lost from the hub.

This is as far as I've gotten. I reserved addresses on my router for the hub, the 2 switches and dimmers. I installed the switch driver and the dimmer driver but haven't added any virtual devices yet.

Thanks again

If you have not, install the application. Then run the application. It will find your devices and you can select the ones you want to install. At that point you should be able to go the the devices page and see your devices. Selecting them will allow you to control them.

dave

Thank you for your help. I was able to get them installed yesterday without a hitch. Being new to Hubitat and I was just using Alexa to control some devices this all seems a little daunting, but the installation was pretty straight forward and not bad.

Bob

1 Like

Some hints to make life easier with Alexa:

• Install the Amazon Echo Application. This will allow you to link devices with Alexa. But if you do so, remove the Kasa Skill from Alexa.
  • If you have Alexa Routines (they are great), make sure they do not conflict with Hubitat Rule Machine.
    (I use Alexa routines for simple items I want to control exclusively via voice, like Good Morning (turns on coffee, lights, ect) and Good Night (turns everything off, locks all doors, etc). I use rule machine for events that are typically not voice controlled (i.e., motion from my Ring Doorbell, Garage Motion Sensor, etc).)

If you don't do as @djgutheinz suggested you will get duplicate devices in Alexa. One of them linked by the TP-Link Alexa skill and one linked by the Hubitat skill. I ran into that with my Bond Hub that runs my ceiling fans. I do the opposite though. I kept the Bond Alexa skill but don't share my Bond devices in HE to the HE Alexa skill. I figure Bond --> Alexa is preferred over Bond --> HE --> Alexa but its probably 6 of one, half-dozen of the other.

1 Like

That's mostly how I controlled things was through Alexa routines but one of the things with Alexa as far as I could figure out was you could only use one trigger. My good night routine turned everything off and turned on a kitchen light dimmed to low for a night light. I had to set another routine to turn it off at sunrise.

I also forgot I had been messing around with the Smartthings app even though I didn't have the hub since my devices were all wifi up until now. Here in Florida we only need to use our heat occasionally at night so we don't really leave the thermostat on. I used it for an automation so when the temp in the house dropped to 70 it would kick on the heat. Whereas Alexa could only adjust the temp and not turn it on or off, Smartthings was able to.

Does the Bond work well. Our ceiling fans in the bedrooms don't have remote controls and run off one switch for fan and light. I was thinking for one of my next projects installing Shelly 2.5s up in the fans. The only downside is won't have speed control for the fans and still have to use the pull chains for that.

They work well but not as quick to respond as you will find with Z-Wave, Zigbee, etc. Check out these threads incl one where I had weird issues with using Picos to control Bond fans:

It turns out Picos and the Bond Hub transmit on a similar frequency and can cause interference. I swapped my Picos with other remotes within house and problem solved.

If you have any more questions after going thru those 2 threads, you can PM me so as not to derail this thread.

I am brand new to Hubitat. Is there any help or instructions for adding the kasa tp-link devices to HE? Thanks in advance

This should point you in the right direction. I've used it and it works fine for my tp-link switch controlling my pool lights. Very quick response because it's local.

2 Likes

This worked like a charm. Biggest thing is ensuring all the devices are in the same network. Thanks for taking care of a noob.

1 Like