Smart Furnace Air Filter

Here's an interesting Kickstarter I just backed... Woosh Air - Smart Furnace Filter

I spoke w/ the lead IoT Dev, and he confirmed they'll eventually have support for home automation hubs like HE.

I really like the possibilities of this... having furnace fan control based on indoor air quality.

I backed it.. looking forward to getting my hands on it :slight_smile:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/woosh/woosh-the-new-solution-for-cleaner-indoor-air?ref=discovery&term=woosh

1 Like

This does look like a great idea. Should help with my allergies. Backer number 151 :grin:

Interesting. I can't back it, as I have 4" filters, not 1". But I like the idea!

EDIT: I see in their FAQ that they will offer other depths later. So maybe in the future!

@aaiyar , @dylan.c ... This is right up your alleys

Thanks for the heads-up, but not my thing. My interests are more aligned with reducing energy use. I rarely ever run the air exchange ventilation unit we've already got. Usually prefer to just open the windows.

EDIT: Just read the back story for the product. Seems like there's need for places & times where opening the windows isn't an option.

2 Likes

Same.

I'm in (they ship to Canada).

I always thought that I'd have to get a sophisticated air purifier system one day.
Well, let's hope that this works - I don't have a Nest Thermostat, so I hope it will interface with my Honeywell T6!

Yup. Opening the windows on the west coast during pollen or wild fire season is just about the last thing you want to do :slight_smile:

1 Like

I decided to back it and reached out to them about access to data in order to use with the Hubitat, preferably from the device itself.

They actually asked me to try out a pre-production version of the filter (frame is 3D printed, and no electronics yet). I have to say it seems pretty decent. I gave them a bunch of feedback but really not too much on the design(s) themselves mostly on the instructions (which are not the "real" ones anyways). I plan on checking it again in another couple days when it has been in for a week. With nicer weather finally starting to arrive though our furnace will generally be off (and thus the fan).

2 Likes

I personally don't see any value in this project, for two reasons:

1. What the project intends to do is already fairly straightforward to do in HE. (I have been doing it for about a year).

It is easy enough to get indoor air quality into HE, and once that is in HE it is easy enough to control your furnace fan. Reminders to change the filter (either based on days of use or pressure differential) is also straightforward. These implementations provide all the necessary components to do everything stated in the project. Just put a Merv13 filter in your furnace and you have everything the project states.

Screenshot from 2022-05-02 07-28-36

1. When you implement it, you do not achieve the goals stated in the project. You may want to implement it for other reasons, but implementing it will not do what the project states it will.

A merv13 furnace filter is not a HEPA filter, it terms of purifying the air, they do not come close. It seems the easy solution to this is to simply install a HEPA filter in your furnace. This you should not do, as the furnace fan is not designed for that level of restriction. I can put a brand new merv13 filter (I normally use merv13 filters) in my furnace and run it continuously for a day. It will have only a little effect on pm2.5 particulate size in my home. Run indoor air purifiers with HEPA filters in them and you can watch the pm2.5 particulate go down fairly quickly and substantially.

1 Like

I have Ecowitt Air Quality sensor and few related RM rules.
If air quality is not good (mainly high CO2 level) my rules determined if outdoor condition
is OK for opening windows and if "yes" announces to open windows.
Otherwise multiple air purifiers are automatically turned on.
The project claims it will turn on fan for recalculation if Nest or Ecobee Thermostats
are used. My thermostat is Ecobee but I did not figure out how to turn fan only.
Apparently this is possible. Now I have to figure out how exactly this could be done.

I have a couple different air quality sensors but neither of them have seemed great. I am hoping this one works better. The direct integration with my Nest would be a plus but I see it as more for air flow and circulation at that point then overall filtration of the air.

Heck... I am not even that worried about the air quality, personally. It sounded interesting and I always like having access to some more data. If it shows me something I missed before, great. The chart you provided shows me the MERV13 filter is already far better than what I had in the furnace, so that is a plus (and I learned something).

In that respect, you are also helping. If I had not been interested in this, I would not have seen your information either. This community... Is probably the most important home automation resource of all.

:smile:

1 Like

I don't want to take this thread off topic, but if you start a new thread or PM me with what you're looking to accomplish, i might be able to help you figure this out.

1 Like