Smart door closer - not lock?

Ok what I need I think is a gear like the one in the switchbot window shade device, but driven by a motor that turns one way only and has a ratchet in the other direction so it will just "give" when someone opens the door but slowly pull it closed on demand. This can just be powered by a smart plug. Then I just fix a length of that bobble cord between door and frame

Or, us the magnet idea but instead of it holding the door open, fix some magnetic metal cord between the door and the frame, with the end passing in front of the magnet. When turned on, the magnet will try to grab the whole length of the cord and will jerk the door closed faster than the motor I just mentioned.

Bah. This isn't a technology problem, it's a power struggle problem. :slight_smile:

Find something that they don't like, Keep doing it until they get angry. Offer to stop doing it if they remember to close the damn door. Done.

:wink:

(I kid, I kid! I'll show myself out)

4 Likes

How about something very simply like the following? It has an adjustable tension to automatically close the door, which probably means you could adjust it to not fully close the door.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-Safety-Spring-Door-Closer-4-1-4-in-Diecast-Construction-White-Non-Handed-KC10HD/100565035#overlay

Then, add something like the following to the bottom of the door to keep it open when needed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QKYJWKG

Low tech, for sure... But pretty darn simple for an interior door.

Not really the effect I was after because if I want the door closed after DH used the keep-open so that he could talk to me while in the kitchen, I still have to get up and release it. I had door closers (mechanical) fitted but took them off as I find they usually end up making me spill everything I am carrying.

1 Like

Hmmm. Attach a fan/propeller to the door?
Then you can open or close it as desired.
Or even better, sounds like a good excuse to get a drone. :crazy_face:

1 Like

It appears we are all channeling our inner Rube Goldberg.

Rube Goldberg machine

1 Like

You can get what's called a swing door opener on ebay for as low as $245. The better olide ones are closer to $500. I want to open close doors during certain heating / cooling events, you could automate the door opener using a fibaro smart implant.

1 Like

I ended up with Open Sesami.
It is not cheap but the only one with built-in clutch.
This clutch allows you to open/close door without any extra force added
(WAF requirement). Integration with HE is a single dry contact relay
and of course, clever RM rules to control the door.

1 Like

You mean with other door closers the door cannot be operated manually? That is a big concern by the way, thanks for letting me know about the clutch style mechanism.

I tested few different swing door operators.
You still can operate door manually but with significant extra force
even when power to the door operator is turned off.
This is because all mechanics is still engaged.
Only "Open Sesami" (at least I did not find any other) has a clutch.
And thanks to this clutch extra force for manual operation is not noticeable
with power on or off. It does not matter.

Looks like you are right friend:

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx28FS6J5482D0Z