Smart Dishwasher - anything useful you can do with them?

Looks like I'm due for a new dishwasher soon, so I'm curious whether it is worth considering a so-called "smart dishwasher." I already have a ZEN15 on my current dishwasher and by watching power levels I know when the washer is running and when it is done (within a couple minutes resolution).

I'm trying to think of what clever things a smart dishwasher could do. Showing me status in an app on the phone doesn't appeal to me at all. Having an API that I could surface Washing/Rinsing/Drying on a dashboard would be nice. Do any of them have some sort of integration (virtual switches to control the appliance's Alexa skill would be OK)? What interesting things can you do?

I suppose that starting a wash from an automation could be useful. Most dishwashers already allow a delay of hours but being able to set a precise time (e.g., if sleep mode, start dishwasher) would be cool.

What does your smart dishwasher do?

P.S. I've read through Automate Dishwasher already and there was some food for thought there.

I have a Bosch. I had it connected to HE through the community Home Connect Integration. I only used it to tell me when the cycle was complete but when the integration started acting up, I switched to a power monitoring plug and couldn't be happier. I do like receiving the notifications when the jet dry is low.

With that said, if this dishwasher died tomorrow, I would replace it with another Bosch. It's the quietest and best cleaning dishwasher we have ever owned.

1 Like

Thanks for the mention of Home Connect. We had already decided to go with Bosch and it seems that most of their new models support it. I’ve also read through the integration thread.

The problems I had with the community integration was that it kept disconnecting. When it worked I was able to see the progress of the cycle on a dashboard but honestly, I didn't use it much. I had hoped that the jet dry and "time to buy more dishwashing detergent" as well as time to clean the machine would be available to HE so I could use that in notifications. It wasn't available but the app itself sends me push notifications. In reality, I would be just as happy if the dishwasher wasn't "smart".

I have a GE dishwasher integrated with smart HQ app. It works well. Not a ton of use cases, But I do have it send a notification if the cycle has been completed and no one has open the door to empty it in over 24 hours, it also reminds me if we are low on detergent pods and I also have it setup so I can push a button (hold actually) before I go to bed to start it so it runs during the night.

2 Likes

I'm assuming it is counting the number of loads since you last purchased pods, correct?

While at first that doesn't sound helpful, that would make it possible to have Alexa add it to shopping list automatically when below a predetermined threshold. I like that.

Correct. That's what it does.

Correct, when you purchase pods you would have to add them to the count either in the Smart HQ app or in the hubitat device page. And the it just subtracts one every time a load of dishes is run. As you can see I currently need to buy more :slight_smile:

You can link home connect directly with Alexa. I haven't done it but it looks interesting. I will have to run this by my better half.

I’ve got a Siemens connected via the community integration.

I’ve got a zigbee button on the fridge that you press once you are ready for the dishwasher to start which triggers a rule that:

1. Turns the led strip in the kicker under the dishwasher purple to indicate that the dishwasher has been set to start;
  2. It then waits until the solar is generating sufficient power to run the dishwasher without paying for electricity from the grid (or 3pm, whichever is the first);
  3. Led turns red to indicate the dishwasher is running;
  4. Once complete the LED turns greens to tell the kids it’s time to unload the dishwasher;
  5. When the dishwasher door opens (which hopefully means the kids are unloading it), the led then goes to its usual colour matching the LEDs in the other kickers around the kitchen.

Works an absolute treat and high WAF rating too.

4 Likes

thats cool

My only suggestion is to put a leak sensor under it. I have one there as my previous dishwasher sprung a leak and we ended up with a new kitchen floor and dishwasher.
Except for an end of cycle alert I always feel that some things just don't need to be automated; except to increase sales :wink:

1 Like

The Bosch dishwasher is sealed and has built in leak detection. If a leak is detected it shuts itself down. The OP stated they were buying Bosch.

True, but the sophistication of the action taken depends on series. Mine will be 500.

Curious what is meant by “sealed”. All dishwashers are sealed. So you mean to say that supply and drain connections are in a sealed space?

I would still have a leak sensor underneath. Belt and suspenders.

It's not too clear in this video but the guts of the dishwashers with that feature are mounted on top of a plastic or composite base (almost like a tray) that covers the footprint of the machine; it actually would prevent you from sliding a leak detector underneath) Supposedly any leakage would be caught by the tray and the sensor would cut off the water supply and pump out the contained water.

Not sure if all Bosch models have this but it was on the 800 series machine I got in 2018; we usually run it fully loaded and it always does a great job. Very quiet as well.. not really a fan of the capacitive touch controls but they're supposed to be more reliable.

Mine is a 300 series and has this feature. We wanted the 800 series but needed an oddball in today's market (24" white) so had to settle for the 300. The 300 works so well I can't imagine how much better the 500 and 800 series are.

Yes there is a plastic tub on the bottom. The supply line is extremely heavy duty and looks to be hardened for leaks and has what I believe to be a valve type assembly on the supply end of it. I had to cut a large hole to get it through the side of the cabinet and then needed to build a small shelf at the back of the sink cabinet for it to sit on. There are adjustments for height but I don't remember how much room is underneath the unit. I do remember it took 5 months to get (from Poland) during the height of the pandemic. It was quite a bit different from the GEs and Whirlpools that we have had in the past.

I can post pictures if you would like them but it will have to wait until nest week when I am back at the house.

Welp, I finally have the Bosch 500 series dishwasher and have it integrated via the community integration. I've replaced the logic I had using a Zooz ZEN15 and Better Laundry app to tell me when the dishwasher is running (based on Operation State). That works fine.

I was hoping the integration would expose cycles but it doesn't seem to. Not that the information is really needed .. just thought it would be cool for the appliance dashboard.

The 500 series Auto Dry pops the door open at the end of the cycle to let the steam escape. Except it waits a very long time after the end of the wash before it does. Something about wouldn't want hot steam to come out unexpectedly.

Let me know if there are some really cool dishwasher rules not already mentioned.

1 Like