Smart bulbs in obscure sizes?

I understand. I have on occasion replaced the harp on a lamp. Mostly when my wife gets a different shade and the height isn't perfect for the lamp. Some are trivial to change, others not so much.

1 Like

I'd agree with the general direction this thread is going. For lamps that I want to make "smart", I typically use the LED bulb that gives me the best color temperature and dimming performance I am looking for and either a switched outlet + in wall Lutron Dimmer switch, or a Lutron Caseta Plug in dimmer with Pico remote. If you are using these say for night stands (or multiple nearby lamps) you can plug both into the same Lutron Caseta plug in dimmer. Note, if you also want Hubitat control, you will have to get the Lutron Pro Bridge. If you are OK without Hubitat control, the Pico remote will pair directly to the plug in dimmer for direct control. Here's a few links for you:

EDIT to correct crazy long URLs and insert as links! And to clarify some statements.

Caseta Lamp Module

Caseta In Wall Dimmer

Pro Bridge with Dimmer Kit

2 Likes

@Tim-in-Ca I too like where this thread went! Thank you for the excellent description and for the links. They are very helpful.

2 Likes

Thank you to everyone here for showing me the best path to success! Here's to the strength of community! :trophy:

2 Likes

@S7Jordan you are quite welcome. Believe me I have experimented with SOOOOO many smart and non-smart bulbs also faced issues where lamps took candelabra base (I bought these to convert candelabra E12 to standard E26 Converters)

Dimming-wise Lutron gives great performance, reliability and flexibility. I transitioned from Wink to HE and was forced to by the Pro Bridge (Wink had Lutron integrated), so there was that extra cost. Buuuut, now Pico remotes can be used to control other non-Lutron devices with the Lutron integration and trigger scenes or other events (only limited to your imagination). I joined in HE club in November and found the forum to be SUPER helpful. No question is too dumb (and I've asked my fair share of them). People are are here to help you get the most out of your Hubitat. Welcome aboard!!!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.