Smart Bulb with Smart Switch

I currently have Lutron Caseta integrated with Hubitat. Could I screw in a Sengled multi-color Zigbee bulb in a fixture controlled by a Caseta dimmer and it work okay? I mean, I would send a command to turn on the Caseta Switch, wait a few seconds for the bulb to connect, and then I could change the color of the bulb.

I know this is not ideal, and there would be a delay as I wait for the bulb to connect to the hub, but would it work or cause any issues?

It could work that way, but I would recommend to just pair the Sengled to the HE hub and then get a Pico to control the light and remove the dimmer from the equation. Smart Bulbs on smart dimmers are generally a bad idea for the life of the bulb itself.

2 Likes

No, it will definitely not work okay. Sengled color bulbs are not designed to be controlled by dimmers. That will not allow the bulb to work correctly. It cannot be dimmed by a conventional dimmer switch.

But even if it did, turning the bulb off by the Caseta would mean that you would have to do two steps to turn the bulb on, first turning on the Caset, which would restore power to the bulb so it would turn on to Warm White and then it would need to be adjusted to the setting that you want.

Not quite the same, but I have a Zwave dimmer controlling the dumb downlights in the kitchen. There is one downlight over the TV and when we are watching, the glare makes it impossible to see. I put a Hue bulb in the place of the dumb downlight over the TV and turn it off while are watching.
When the lights come on overnight, I have the kitchen lights dimmed to 10% but the Hue light is still at what appears to be 100%. I can still adjust the brightness of the Hue bulb up or down while the kitchen downlights are dimmed. It has been working just fine for the past 2 years but YMMV.

You would want to use a switch that allowed you to bypass the relay (like the new Inovelli switches can), then use the Mirror app to make your smart bulb follow your smart switch. You don't want anything altering the power to the smart bulb.

Thanks a lot for your idea I have some lights with less than 25w load. The easiest way is lutron caseta pico remote and some smart bulbs linked to a hue hub. Thanks !!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.