Smart bedside light

*pico

2 Likes

I've used a normal lamp with a hue bulb and touchlinked the Ikea Sonos remote to the bulb to act as a direct control.

I was assuming you already had the touch bedside lamps and could try it. The idea of a controllable touch lamp dimmer where it worked either through touch or automation, would be a cool device.

Ok so I guess using an external switch is inevitable....then I might as well use the hue tap or their recently released button to control the lights.....

Thanks guys....it's really a shame that philips or ikea haven't come up with a lamp (maybe something like the hue go) but with direct touch control....

If you can still find them then the SWIID inline switches are pretty cool for bedside lamps.

http://www.swiid.com/en/produits.html#SwiidInter

Not exactly what you are looking for, but I use an Echo Spot as my bedside clock. I have Hue bulbs in the lamps. I just tell Alexa to turn the lamp out.

You could achieve something similar with an arduino using an ultrasonic sensor (eg. wave your hand near it) and then use Hubduino to link that setup to your HE. It would be a stack of work but is definitely feasible. I've seen a project where you can literally move your hand above the sensor to adjust volume of music. So something similar to adjust brightness of a lamp should be possible.

I have Lutron pico remotes for both my wife and I.

1 Like

I have a ikea tradfri dimmer remote for my wifes side, as she just wants simple on/off and this was a cheap way to do it.

On my side, I have a Smartthings button for the light with 1 tap, Fan with double tap etc...

Looks like Roy may have updated the driver even....

if you go this way you may need to reset the Tradfri puck factory by pressing link button 4 times in 5 seconds in order to get a successful pairing.

1 Like

xiaomi has a bed side lamp with touch control... but its wifi i think.

It would not be so hard if it is compatible with Yeelight driver. Shame it probably isn´t the case

Hey thanks for the info about the xiaomi lights!! Do these work with hubitat? Or maybe even the hue bridge?

The xiaomi bedside lamps appear to be cloud based and WiFi. Perhaps if someone has one they could comment on HE integration.

Are you saying you repurposed the ikea SOUND remote to work with something other than sonos? If so, please go on...

Would make a cool remote for lights and wondering what else...

Edit: Nevermind. Simply pair it as a zigbee device. No driver though...will play around with it.

It's got some weirdness when paired to the hub. Double events that drove Mike crazy. A workaround was hopefully found to see if we can get a working driver. In the meantime I paired it successfully to the hue bridge and then touchlinked to my bedside bulb. Working great for turning on the lamp and dimming it. It's pretty smooth dimming as well, but a little janky when changing direction.

I paired via "add device" in habitat. I recognizes but no driver of course. How did you pair it to the "hue bridge"? Via Hue app or Habitat? In the hue app, what device are selecting to "add"?

Check my post here, it links to a YouTube vid on how to touchlink Ikea stuff. I used Hue Essentials app on Android.

I'm busy planning a similar thing. Got bedside lamps with Hue bulbs and I'm going to add Xiaomi buttons to control. They're cheap and have 4 different triggers (click, double click, hold and shake) for the new model (no shake for the old). That way I'm planning on having:

• click - on/off
  • double click - all bedroom lights on/off
  • hold - lowest dim. We only usually have the bulbs max or low if someone is sleeping.
  • shake - nothing as they will be stuck down :stuck_out_tongue:

There is a workaround driver to get the Sonos remote paired and working. Tested it with a rule machine button controller rule and it worked well.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.