Smart bedside light

Hi,

I'm an all hue guy when it comes to lights. However with bedside lights I can't seem to find a suitable solution as all hue lights have to be controlled either by app or by an external switch. So no "touch" functionality on their lamps which I'm used to with my bedside lamps.

The lights I'm looking for should be controllable via hubitat but also on their on....preferably with some sort of touch function.

What do your bedside lamps look like?

Best regards

No bedside table. RGBWW lightify strips. During the day bright white. During quiet time, blue as to not to wake whoever is in bed. Works great for us. motion sensor activated and mode controlled.
[EDIT]
I realize that you're looking for bedside lamps, but I posted it because it may spark your creative juices to create something that works for you and yours.

1 Like

It only takes a mention like this to trigger an "why hasn't someone made that already". I assume you are talking about just touching any part of the lamp to trigger light levels and off/on.
I have a Hue light in a kitchen downlight that I normally control with a dimmer along with the other downlights. I use the Hue bulb because I want to be able to turn it off separately while the other downlights a still on. The Hue light seems to be dimmable almost independently of the dimmer. When the downlights are dimmed, the Hue seems as bright as it is when the downlights are at the brightest level. I mention this because it might work to just use a Hue bulb in the lamp for turning the lamp off and somehow resetting power in the AM like perhaps a controlable power plug.

1 Like

Great idea with the lights beneath your bed. But thats not what Im looking for.

Yes I would love to have a smart lamp that can be controlled by touching the lamp (maybe even dimming it this way).

I thought about putting a hue bulb in my lamp. But thats not how hue lights are supposed to work (by cutting off electricity)...also this way I would only be able to turn them on and off. No dimming or anything....

Have you considered using a button of some sort? Touch would cut off power probably making more trouble than it's worth.

Hue bulbs controlled by a pick remote. Warmth is automatically set by time of day.

*pico

2 Likes

I've used a normal lamp with a hue bulb and touchlinked the Ikea Sonos remote to the bulb to act as a direct control.

I was assuming you already had the touch bedside lamps and could try it. The idea of a controllable touch lamp dimmer where it worked either through touch or automation, would be a cool device.

Ok so I guess using an external switch is inevitable....then I might as well use the hue tap or their recently released button to control the lights.....

Thanks guys....it's really a shame that philips or ikea haven't come up with a lamp (maybe something like the hue go) but with direct touch control....

If you can still find them then the SWIID inline switches are pretty cool for bedside lamps.

http://www.swiid.com/en/produits.html#SwiidInter

Not exactly what you are looking for, but I use an Echo Spot as my bedside clock. I have Hue bulbs in the lamps. I just tell Alexa to turn the lamp out.

You could achieve something similar with an arduino using an ultrasonic sensor (eg. wave your hand near it) and then use Hubduino to link that setup to your HE. It would be a stack of work but is definitely feasible. I've seen a project where you can literally move your hand above the sensor to adjust volume of music. So something similar to adjust brightness of a lamp should be possible.

I have Lutron pico remotes for both my wife and I.

1 Like

I have a ikea tradfri dimmer remote for my wifes side, as she just wants simple on/off and this was a cheap way to do it.

On my side, I have a Smartthings button for the light with 1 tap, Fan with double tap etc...

Looks like Roy may have updated the driver even....

if you go this way you may need to reset the Tradfri puck factory by pressing link button 4 times in 5 seconds in order to get a successful pairing.

1 Like

xiaomi has a bed side lamp with touch control... but its wifi i think.

It would not be so hard if it is compatible with Yeelight driver. Shame it probably isn´t the case

Hey thanks for the info about the xiaomi lights!! Do these work with hubitat? Or maybe even the hue bridge?

The xiaomi bedside lamps appear to be cloud based and WiFi. Perhaps if someone has one they could comment on HE integration.

Are you saying you repurposed the ikea SOUND remote to work with something other than sonos? If so, please go on...

Would make a cool remote for lights and wondering what else...

Edit: Nevermind. Simply pair it as a zigbee device. No driver though...will play around with it.