Small suggestion to Improved Hubitat Elevation C7 Hub. It can be done!

Who would ever think about having HE control a furnace?
Your only hope is that you live in a hot climate or you will freeze to death. :smiley:

2 Likes

You misread or misunderstood what he was saying. Furnaces have a LED where you can count flash codes to (in theory anyway) diagnose the furnace. It works pretty bad most times.

4 Likes

Agreed @neonturbo, good practice of discretion.

@user494, you really should post a survey if you are so convinced that your suggestion is one that merits the effort (not just the cost of a few LEDs) to put this into production to see if it has any traction.

One to see if hubs are on display (I would think not in the vast, vast majority of cases, but you can find out with a survey) and one to see if your suggestion is one that anyone would find useful (given the other priorities that the Hubitat team must also consider). This way you can find out if:

Or . . .

In my own use case and with the manner in which I already monitor my hub and devices, as a project manager, I would not expend any effort into this unless there was a strong (meaning a market affecting) demand for such a feature. Personally, I don’t think there is for this idea, but THIS IS MY Opinion only. Given you’ve spent over $150 on a light bulb indication contraption your desire for this obviously far exceeds mine). Anyway, I suppose everyone has, and is entitled to, their own set of beliefs and preferences:
(Sorry, just ran into this GIF and wanted to use it somewhere, lol).

4 Likes

Sengled color plus bulb.

2 Likes

Well said but, as another user pointed out, having external radio (zigbee/z-wave) antenna connectors would be a great hub improvement along with my extra user programmable LEDs.

1 Like

There's an ongoing thread for that, and Hubitat have indicated it is under consideration for a future hub.

Continue any discussion about external antennas on that thread.

4 Likes

Funny - I have a Lennox pulse furnace with those diagnostic LEDs.

1 Like

This is a feature that I could support . . . extra leds, not so much. But, opinions are like @$$h0le$, everyone has one, and I don’t want to hear yours, lol. Obviously JUST JOKING!!!! (keeping things light).

1 Like

I am not sure, I understood correctly you coment but I am EE with hude
experience in electronics design. I do know how LEDs could be used for
quick diagnostic/status reporting and debugging. And I also know how
easy this could be abused, I am sorry, but your use case is next to useless,
73!

3 Likes

I'm pretty much with everyone else. Lights are useless. (mine is sitting on a shelf in the laundry room). Simply sending an alert to my phone is enough...

1 Like

Not to mention fcc re certification costs, z-wave certification costs

2 Likes

How about removing ALL the LEDs on the HE? I don’t need a bright glowing light to tell me its working

3 Likes

Under Control Look GIF by KidsEffekt

Actually maybe Hubitat should market 50+ different hub SKU's each with a different color for the LED, plus this request - without any. Then we as a user can choose which one fits in best with our surrounding dĂŠcor. Again would cost pennies in hardware to implement as no extra circuity required at all :wink:

6 Likes

I'm fairly confident this will not happen anytime soon as there doesn't seem to be a good cost/benefit but I don't work for HE so can't say for sure.

If you want something NOW then you could simply have an RPi zero or equivalent + eInk display and pull stats using @thebearmay 's awesome HubInfo driver. That would provide a lot more comprehensive info potentially and you'd have a secondary companion server available to run things like HomeBridge etc.

4 Likes

You are forgetting that there are other fees involved. One change and the following has to be done. FCC certification, Z-wave certification, UL certifications. Not to mention the cost in redesign of the main board costs (paying the engineer, paying the manufacturer to update their method etc) It is NOT as a simple as changing out an LED. I will also say that Hubitat Inc knows better what to do with their product and how to achieve it.

5 Likes

A lot of forum users are saying it would be expensive to add these extra LEDs to HE C7.
From what country is the Hubitat HE C7 Hub being manufactured? China or USA?

1 Like

That doesn't matter. See my reply above? Regardless of manufacturing origin, other costs come into play. There could be an .001 cent difference in the cost of the led, the redesign would be expensive. From the hardware, to the coding, to the certifications. Hubitat is not going to release something that isn't certified.

2 Likes

You are correct but in addition to user programmable LED's AND adding other enhancements like Zigbee / or Z-wave external antenna connectors it only the cost of upgrading HE C7 .

Again ... Hubitat HE C7 Hub being manufactured? China or USA?
Does anyone, on this forum know this answer?

1 Like

I think everyone knows the answer (including the poster). Let’s not let this devolve. Reminds me of another thread where someone kept insisting that 4K=5MP and couldn’t give it up. Not useful.

Just want to keep the community civil (and perhaps more importantly useful) as this community is one of the reasons that attracted me to HE (in addition to its excellent capabilities of course).

8 Likes