Slow Z-Wave Motion Dimmer Response Times

I have two Jasco/GE Z-Wave Motion Dimmers (26933) that are very slow to respond under Hubitat. I recently moved from Smartthings to HE, and so far this is the only issue.

Each will take anywhere from 2-5 seconds to respond to motion, whereas under ST they were near immediate to come on when motion was detected.

HE auto-recognized them as "Jasco Z-Wave Motion Dimmer". I have both set to Occupancy mode and Motion Sensitivity to High.

What kind of tweaks or edits can I do to their configuration to get them to respond faster? Is there a better device type to select? Some kind of companion to them in HE I can lean on? In ST there are custom Device Handlers that allow extending factory configurations; is there something similar for HE?

Any help will be appreciated.

Are you actually using them as dimmers or just on/off? If just as an on/off switch you could put them into switch mode (parameter 16, size 1, value 1 - Link to Parameters).

Its basically on/off, but I'd prefer to keep the slow rise to on and descent to off if possible.
I'll do some reading on how to change parameters and try that as well.

I have 4 of them and they work fine in HE. The built in drivers are limited and there are community device drivers.

This was one I helped port over a long time ago:

I think there might be a newer one out....

Maybe parameter 8, size 2, value 1 then. As for how, I usually switch over the Basic ZWave Tool driver set the parameter(s) I'm interested in, and then switch it back to the regular driver.

Thanks guys I’ll give these a deeper look.

It could be the driver waiting to see if multi-tap. You might try Jason Bottjen’s ‘(@JasonJoel’s) drivers for the 26933. I use his Component driver, that splits the device into a separate dimmer and motion sensor, but he’s also got a single driver that has both parts in the single device.

I assume you mean that automations IN HUBITAT are slow?

If the device is in OCCUPANCY mode (motion tuns light on/off) that is all handled in the device and has zero to do with Hubitat. So nothing any of us can do to help that (other than fiddling with the steps/% per step settings in the device.

Or do you mean that you are using the motion status from the device to do things on other devices?

Or do you have the motion dimmer.switch in MANUAL and you are using the motion status in a hub automation to turn the light on/off?

If either of the last two, the 1st step is to turn on debug logging on the device and watch the logs to see when the status event comes in. If quickly, then it is the automation in the hub. If slowly, it could be indicative of a zwave mesh or zwave radio in the hub problem.

Etc.

All good questions; thanks for the clarification.

No, I don't mean automations within HE based on the state of the device. When I added the dimmers a few years ago SmartThings didn't have native support for them, so I used someone's custom device handler. That allowed ST to recognize the dimmer and then just handled the rest as far as I was concerned. I didn't need anything more complicated than what I've already described so I never dug further into the CDH code.

What Im hoping for with HE is that its native handling is causing the delay, or the dimmer itself is just slow without custom code to 'tell' it what to do.

The motion dimmer component driver sounds interesting, as does the parameter change mentioned in this thread. I know nothing about how HE handles either, so Ive some reading to do before making any changes. I'll do that and report findings.

I applied your (JasonJoel’s) custom code that splits the functionality and creates a parent/child relationship with the device, dimmer and sensor and that seems to have done the trick. Both of these switches are now responding nearly immediately on entering the room.

Thanks again for the help.

1 Like

One thing I will say, is that if you change the motion sensitivity parameter to "low" sometimes the device will be really slow turning on/registering motion. Unfortunately that is just how the device firmware works - not much we can do about that.

The quick response is what I was looking for, but thanks for the heads up.

Um, isn’t that backwards? I believe we had this discussion before, and the GE/Jasco motion sensitivity is defined backwards. “Low” means a “low” amount of motion activates (most sensitive); “High” means it takes a “high” amount of motion to activate. Counterintuitive.

I tested back when there was discussion before, and it seemed to me that “low” was most sensitive. That’s how I have mine set, and you can just walk by in the hall, outside the room, and it instantly goes on. Using your excellent Smart Motion Component Drivers.

Dunno. All I know is every time I put things in "low" the lights delay BIG TIME before turning on.

And then there is this that says low = less sensitive. So I don't know at this point.