Slow issue fixed?

The ISP ones very often don't have that (or any other important features I may need). This is why I place a high-end one inside it. I wouldn't trust the security of the ISP one anyway...

Yeah, I had to do that already at one property because the router 3BB provided didn't even allow fixed IP addresses to be set up. So a friend of mine set up another router I had from Singapore, linked to the original which has the fibre coming into it, that now let's me reserve the IPs. I will have to check if it records these errors. Thanks!

1 Like

Let's hope it does and that you have none! If you do, I'd be curious to know.

changed it to individual light - still a 5 second delay.
Robe MS fired at 6:02:41 but too 5 seconds to fire 6:02:46

My hub was fine before the last 2 updates. It became unresponsive overnight and I power cycled it (via Monit rule). This has happened 3 times since the last update. Only change was updating code and a new rule machine rule to notify me of door opens without an unlock event (to tel me when zwave locks have gone away).

@Ryan780
What are you using as Zigbee motion sensors ? I have all Z-wave sensors but I would be willing to try Zigbee ones

The Iris gen 2 but they're not available except on Ebay anymore. But there are several other zigbee sensors which are just as fast. The SmartThings version seems to be another popular one. In general, I haven't heard of any zigbee sensor which is slower than a z-wave one.

1 Like

@Ryan780
Thanks Ryan, I'll look into those

restarted my hub tonight and all my motion sensors are firing on a dime, sad that that is the only way?

1 Like

Why is it sad if it works? Hubitat is always working toward improving the hub. If there's something that is truly platform related (I mean an identifiable, repeatable cause, not all these wild hypothesis and guesses people are suggesting based on single unit sample sizes) and they can fix it, there is ample evidence that they will. For now, if that solves the issue, just have it reboot overnight. I don't see what's sad about that.

6 Likes

I still reboot my hubs once a week; don't know that I need to and don't really care. The reboot puts my hubs down for 0.1% of the week. So, my hubs up time is 99.9%.

4 Likes

I believe that HE is doing everything they can given their resources available. Stop-gap measures may help mitigate things until more info is available but it is not a panacea.

Forcing a reboot indicates an underlying unresolved issue either on the user end or hub end. This does not engender trust in the system that one expects to automate their household. Who knows what other issues could be lurking out there impacts to the system this instability is causing?

It's an understandable frustration that requires some patience and due diligence to get through that some may not have the tolerance for.

7 Likes

I will say that when I was having to reboot daily to keep things running, I did not have faith in the system. It's smart to not trust a system to work reliably when you don't know for sure what is causing it to have issues, or when a problem will strike.

5 Likes

Overestimation. 0.1% of the week is ~10 minutes. Hubitat reboots in about 1 - 1.5 minutes. Sorry couldn't resist :crazy_face:

6 Likes

I know it's ten minutes :wink:. My second hub reboots first, then the server hub, then I have the two homebridge hubs reconnect the sockets (probably don't need to, but just in case) and the ST hub minds its business. So, it might not take 10 minutes, but there are 10 minutes devoted to the hubs probably not running as smoothly as they otherwise do, but I haven't stayed up to find out.

1 Like

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. There's no conclusive data that supports an issue with the platform. Statements like these while not automatically false, just promote fear, uncertainty and doubt. There are so many variables in any of these systems. I've already heard from former users that have felt Home Assistant was better for them, but admitted that they had and/or are having just as many issues getting devices stable on them.

Respectfully, I don't think it's fair to constantly distrust the Hubitat staff and platform every single time there's a problem from another user, where none of them have identical devices and setups. And even if they did, the sample sizes are often one hub and one device of a certain type. How that equals global issues is beyond my comprehension.

Not pointing a finger at you, but just pointing out a troubling trend in attitudes on this forum. Bruce and Chuck have explicitly stated the companies intent to make Hubitat error free, and while that's a very ambitious goal, the evidence in their efforts, demonstrated with frequent fixes and feature updates and improvements shows they are earnest and committed. I cannot think of any device or software platform that I own which can work with so many different devices and applications, but has no problems at all. Doesn't exist in my world. So if for the time being, if a simple reboot that cost me nothing in anyway fixes the issue, then I'm going to do it. No patience required for that. :v:

7 Likes

I hope you did not take my response as a negative comment. It was not intended to be.

I think the negativity reflects how strongly people care about the platform and their desire to make it work. I certainly don't think calling out HE staff is helpful or ever warranted. The forums that I have read haven't been all that bad outside of a few posts here and there. This is the internet after all..

I agree that other platforms simply have different issues and you're just as likely to end up chasing your tail with those as well (or worse!). HE currently offers the easiest and one the most flexible ways to automate your home locally.

I also agree that being able to stop-gap an issue by rebooting (for example!) is very useful until such time as information becomes available to resolve. Not everyone may share this view of course and that is okay too.

2 Likes

There's no way to disprove this. I could say this about every device, system, car, elevator, food truck, etc I ever interact with.

I have no problem with 4am reboots until Hubitat inevitably finds and fixes any real problems that exist. A couple years ago, it was found that a Boeing 787 (which costs 150-200 million, btw) must be rebooted every 248 days or it will crash, due to a software oversight. Airlines shrugged, rebooted their planes, and moved on with going about their business.

3 Likes

I went out and bought some toilet paper just in case.

21 Likes

I want to give you a second crown for that one! :rofl:

4 Likes