Skybell HD

Thats the jpeg stream, but that was the first thing I tried. Haven't tested using an RTSP stream and I'm guessing from your comment that I shouldn't expect it to work.

Does MJPEG not count as "video"?

Yeah, no browser that I have dealt with handles native RTSP (even mpeg encoded) as of yet. Supposedly, it was going to be in some future Canary build of Chrome, but I've not seen any commits recently for it.

Ish? Depends on the browser. I know that some Safari builds have issues with MJPEG.

I guess I just focus on the end result. Does it look like video, even if its a "flip book" of jpegs? Well, sure, but 10fps or 30fps doesn't matter much to me.

1 Like

As you should! I wasn't dissing you (do the cool kids still use that word? lol). I got all excited when you said you had video on your dashboard. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I don't feel dissed, but I have no idea what the cool kids say.

When i show my wife the dashboard, she sees a "video" of the kids bedrooms. So I have "video." You still need to get there! But thats the part i'd like to dig into, specifically with skybell.

1 Like

I gave my wife this (excuse the mess around the house) until I can figure out a way to get actual video into a dashboard.

Can I ask how you got the jpeg stream going? I have not setup a real dashboard on the HE yet. I'm using House Panel and like it a lot... But I also like the idea of tying cameras to specific rooms... :slight_smile:

Of course. Go ahead and ask! (j/k).

You want to log into your camera's admin settings and set it to output an MJPEG stream. I was able to do that on my sub-stream (Amcrest camera), so my monitor and camera app on our phones still pull an h264 stream.

Then you need to get the actual URL. Some of it is camera specific, as far as I understand. And they format the URL for the stream slightly differently, so Google is your friend on that front.

For Amcrest cameras, the format is http://[your.ip.address]/cgi-bin/mjpg/video.cgi?subtype=1
You may need to specify which port on your camera you are using if you have port forwarding rules set up. So for me it was http://[my.ip.address]:8055/cgi-bin/mjpg/video.cgi?subtype=1

You take that URL and add it to a new tile in the dashboard. When you set up the tile, choose "image" for the type. And since it is able to pull in any image from the web, you can just paste that URL. Boom. Done. Video in the dashboard.

1 Like

Cool! And it updates automatically in the dashboard?

Yep.
Not sure how fast you can set the dashboard to refresh. I know its set at 2 seconds as a default, but I don't know much faster you can set it before it becomes an issue. (I'm still a total noob and just enjoying each new discovery).

I am an iSpy user and I have found their camera database is a good place to find the URLs that camera manufacturers use. It's at the least a good starting place.

https://www.ispyconnect.com/sources.aspx

1 Like

Getting back to the original topic, has nobody been able to join the SkyBell Connect API Program?

"This integration is made possible with the SkyBell Connect API program. Our patented technology allows us to keep SkyBell’s Wi-Fi on all the time. This means users, platforms and partner products can send commands to SkyBell HD at any time. The ability for users, or partner products, to start SkyBell HD’s live video stream at any time is enabled by this “always-on” technology."

Not that I have seen. Supposedly, it's really expensive to "join" the Connect API program. There have been a few hacked attempts here and there on undocumented APIs, but nothing official.

Jumping aboard in case SkyBell integration happens anytime soon.

I'm shocked that Skybell is even still in business given their Better Business Record, I bought one about a year ago and it was the worst customer service I've ever witnessed from any company, they drug out warranting their doorbell because I bought it "brand new" from an ebay seller and not their company website, stating their "terms and conditions" (only after my 30 day return window from ebay seller passed) states they don't warranty new items unless coming direct from them. After 2 months the ebay vendor (thankfully) agreed to allow me to return after the 30 window.

Eh, they are in business because the device works great, has good picture, and no monthly fees. Not that hard to understand,

Maybe for a few the brand new device I received AND the replacement device Skybell themselves sent me neither would store video at all, ONLY live view was possible. their tech support is abysmal almost as bad as their customer support, don't take my word for it read their BBB profile and the NUMEROUS complaints stating the exact same thing and their rating is an F most companies with that track record don't stay in business long.

I believe you. I have no doubt that if mine breaks I'm SOL.

But keep in mind only a very SMALL % of buyers need or talk to tech support. So it isn't all that surprising that a company with bad support, that makes a good product (100% of the SkyBell HDs I've used worked perfectly - so far :smile: ) are in business.

Go look through BBB listings - there are MANY companies with low ratings that have been in business for decades. To your point, there are many that folded, too. I'm just saying there isn't a 1:1 correlation between BBB rating and business longevity.

I always do appreciate people sharing their experiences with support though, as I do factor that in when making a purchase.

It's small enough that they almost never even answer their support phone number, as "due to the number of calls we are experience your call is placed in the que" and after 15 minutes of waiting they hang up with not even answering the call, forcing you to try again, If you send an email they'll (sometimes) respond within a week (most of the times requires multiple emails) Then when they finally do respond they try everyway possible to NOT warranty the device, even though they admit it's defective.

100% of my Skybell HD's failed, Zmodo is as good or better and cheaper, and the video storage is also free.

1 Like

I wasn't aware of zmodo. Looks pretty good!

1 Like