Skill interaction via HE or Echo Speaks, or?

Is there a way to "start" a skill via an HE routine of some sort? For instance, (not my real use case, but should be close enough), the CNBC Alexa Skill allows me to say: “Alexa, ask CNBC what Amazon is trading at”, and the Alexa device will answer. I want to start a skill with options that would normally be spoken to the device, but without me having to speak (so triggered by some other means).

I have EchoSpeaks set up, so can control which device gets spoken from, but is there a way to do this programmatically via a routine or piston, or some other way?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

-randy

Check this out. Alexa added Custom option to Routines that might work for you.

1 Like

I don't think this will work in this instance - happy to be wrong... :slight_smile:

So I don't know that I can tell an Alexa routine to do what I want (in my example mimic me saying "Alexa, ask CNBC what Amazon is trading at" - at least not in what I am seeing for options there - it would let me start the Skill, but I don't see where I can pass options to it?

Thank you!

If you only interested in 3-5 stocks, you could create a routine for each using method described in other thread. But if you want to be able to potentially ask for any company's stock price your are probably right. @tonesto7 has mentioned that he is going to try and incorporate the Custom Command in Echo Speaks I believe but I have no idea if that is a big ask. There is hope!

You may want to cross-post this in the Echo Speaks main thread so Tonesto can possibly give advice.

I'm hoping @tonesto7 is able to parse the alexa responses so we can then trigger more routines based on her replies. No reason to think its possible though other than the guys a badass with this stuff. Echo speaks open up sooo many paths.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.