Sinopé - Smart Water Leak Detector WL4200 - what happens if it gets wet?

I just installed a Sinopé WL4200 water detector. I am using it to control a sump pump in my basement. I noticed that it is not sealed up all that well. I was wondering if anyone has used one and has gotten it wet (like, if my pump cant keep up in heavy rain). Will it die if it gets wet (submerged).

Probably, yes - none of the zwave/zigbee leak sensors I've seen are rated for submersion (there could be one, but I haven't seen it).

It is better to get a leak sensor with an external / extension probe for that service so that you can put the electronics in a dry place.

I would have gotten the WL4200S model that has an external probe to keep the electronics out of the water like JasonJoel said.

2 Likes

Curious. what would be the benefit of using zwave to (assuming) turn on an outlet to start the sump rather than relying on the built in mechanical float? It feels like you'd be introducing a lot of latency and quite likely cause a reduction in reliabilty to send messages back and forth...

1 Like

How about making a styrofoam raft for the sensor so it can still get the contacts wet but then float rather than submerge?

1 Like

Aeotec Water Sensor 7 Pro has a great extension probe bit, as well, although they seem to be sold out in the US at the moment. I got one, but can't seem to find the 2 additional I'd like.

The sump hole is on the small side and there is no room to use a pump with a build in switch