Simple Rule Trigger from Car

2 months into a major HA project, loving HB. One area I struggle with is a SIMPLE way to trigger a rule from my car. I don't want to have to unlock my phone while driving, so pure Google Assistant is out. Looked at Flic Button> Tasker > Google assistant - far from simple. This has to pass the WAF and be robust. One main application is "Back Home" - would like to trigger this a few miles from home to open garage door, turn on lights....

Much appreciate any guidance here. I fear simple may not be an option....

Why a few miles? I have a SmartThings presence sensor at the base of my windshield that opens the garage door from a farther distance than the opener's remote. Downside is the battery only lasts three months or so. People have made external battery adapters for longer life, but it would add volume to be stored in my little car, plus maybe not as good range? I'm ambivalent about it. I'm trying to avoid the cloud generally.

3 Likes

Don't have experience with GH and GA, but my vehicles have Alexa available through the CarPlay interface and I can give it any voice command that works inside the house... Read somewhere that GA would soon have similar capabilities.

1 Like

i've created a virtual switch and shared that to google home. then i use android auto to say "turn on garage" and it turns on the switches i put in that group in google home. this includes opening my garage and a few lights

1 Like

Why not just use Life360 and/or HE phone app(s) and set geofences that trigger rule ?

3 Likes

Yep, this seems like a perfect case for geofencing.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick responses and ideas!

1 Like

I also have the virtual switch triggered by GA - lacking Android auto (Toyota Tacoma), still need to unlock the phone due to a GA restriction about what commands can be dealt with on a locked phone. Still exploring.

OwnTracks is an option for this, doesn't require a separate device (set it up on your Android or iOS device). I use it and have found it very reliable.

Whatever you choose, suggest you test it by automating an outside light on your home to ensure it's working reliably (light is always on when you get home, and off when you leave. You can use logs/device events to confirm things are working as desired. And I wouldn't set this up to initiate miles from your house...unless you have a verrrrry long driveway. :wink:

1 Like