Simple rule to Rule Machine migration

Sorry, I meant "Basic rules".

And yes, my point is not about it being daunting, but is more of a convenience from a polished product. Having that ability means, the platform allows me to quickly migrate and add that one new condition and be done with it to help it serve my needs.
Not having that ability means, I need to procrastinate on it, as it is now a project, which I have to plan time out for, sit down, assess the old logic, recreate it, do multiple iterations of testing and troubleshooting. And then finally be done with the migration...only to realize that oh I forgot to account for that one edge condition, which was a part of my old Rule.

I understand. It's a large challenge. I'll think about it.

2 Likes

In general, it seems most people who go to the trouble of purchasing a Hubitat device should just spend a few minutes and learn Rule Machine. It is not the most user friendly or intuitive system, but it does work well, and allow for fairly complex rules. Rather than spend time trying to "bridge" these two rules engines, why not just eliminate the less powerful of the two, and make the more powerful version a bit more user-friendly?

1 Like

Basic Rule was developed based on a lot of experience with and hopefully some insight into how new users can most easily approach an inherently difficult topic: creating automations. My wife, who is completely non-technical, can use Basic Rule and understand the concept of When Something Happens Do Something. The gap between that more intuitive and simpler UI and Rule Machine might as well be the Grand Canyon. The user audience for these two apps are completely different in terms of their knowledge level and experience.

The OP raises a valid suggestion. OK, I figured out how to ride the bike with training wheels, now I want to go further. Why should I have to start over? This is a natural point to reach as one learns their way around home automation. One can't push Basic Rules into more complex automations without losing its ease of use. Trying to add a simpler and more intuitive UI to Rule Machine is incredibly difficult. Creating a bridge from one to the other is probably a doable project and one worth doing. It would also be a great training tool, to see how a simple automation in Basic Rule can grow up into a Rule Machine rule.

Meanwhile, back at the Rule Machine Ranch, efforts will continue to improve its UI and make it easier to use. But let's not kid ourselves that it can somehow become a beginner's tool with just a little more polish.

6 Likes

Bruce gonna do what Bruce gonna do. Well, good luck with it, whatever you end up doing.

Just realized that this feature has actually seen light!!!! Import Basic Rule or Simple Automation Rule into Rule Machine

Thanks a lot Hubitat team!! Yet another example of customer empathy.

2 Likes

Perhaps now that we have this feature, stretch goal should be to also allow to import a 5.0 Rule to create a new 5.1 rule :smiley:
That is helpful so that if I want to use any new 5.1 features in my old 5.0 rule, then I can continue to do so instead of having to recreate the 5.0 rule manually into a new rule.

If creating import of Basic Rule into RM was equivalent of getting high school diploma, then importing 5.0 rule would be equivalent of getting a PhD. It's not worth the effort when you can simply rewrite the rule in a few minutes.

1 Like

I just updated and my parent app doesn't have that option. Is this only me?

Do you have any Simple Automation Rule 1.2 instances? (This will be listed next to the app in your Apps list.) It does not work with earlier versions of this app, though it should still shows newer ones if you have them.

In response to In Release 2.3.1 it is now possible to import a Basic Rule or Simple Automation Rule into Rule Machine.

When I click on Rule Machine I don't see the migration pulldowns. Only create a new rule. Is this a release issue and how do I determine what release version I have?

BTW: If I can get this feature working it will be a godsend.

Mike

Do you have any Simple Automation Rule 1.2 instances? (This will be listed next to the app in your Apps list.) It does not work with earlier versions of this app, though it should still show newer ones if you have them.

The rule I want to migrate is a Basic Rule 1.0. I guess I need to recreate that as a Simple Automation Rule 1.2, right?

Mike

I assumed SAR since they was the original topic of thus thread, but Basic Rule 1.0 should work, too. If you don't see anything, make sure you're in Rule 5.1 and not Rule Machine Legacy. Also try hitting "Done" in the affected Basic Rule or thr parent Basic Rules app to see if that changes anything. I just tested in the latest 2.3.1 build and a Basic Rule 1.0 showed up for me, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't for you.

I'm definitely not in Rule Machine Legacy. I tried hitting 'Done' in the Basic Rule 1.0 to no effect. How do I determine what build I have for the Rule Machine? For that matter, how do I determine what build I have for Basic Rule 1.0?

I'm running off right now so I may not respond right away.

Mike

By "build," I just meant thr platform version from Settings > Hub Details.

Got it. Just updated the hub to v. 2.3.1.142. I was able to create a Rule 5.1 version of the Basin Rule 1.0. That said, it replicated a kludge I had created in the Basic Rule. Do you have an example of the logical equivalent of a DO WHILE loop in RULE 5.1? What I wanted to do was turn a wall fan on and off depending high and low temperature readings. I had planned to use a predicate to put time bounds on when and how long the loop would run. I've been rereading the documentation on RULE 5.1 and don't yet see and elegant way to do it.

While … Repeat
== actions ==
END-REP

1 Like

Write two rules.

I if temp > x on

Another if temp < y off

The Rule 5.0 docs are probably a better source for this at the moment (the 5.1 docs are new and still missing some things, this being one from what I remember). But my suggestion is the one @672southmain suggested above, the "Repeat While (Expression)" feature.