Simple lighting

Why not just make "(whoever) not present" (or Away mode or similar equivalent) a req'd expression, then set the any-xyz-contacts-open as the rule's trigger for the audio notification?

I'm not savvy with how to build in the Fibaro button action as a backup override into that same rule (to account for a lag in presence properly registering), but I'm sure it's possible. Or you could always just create a separate rule that does that.

1 Like

so it better to have the contact sensors as a trigger rather then presence not detected?

Better is pretty subjective in this sort of stuff, but when I build a new rule, I first try to determine what's the most clear/clean & most-direct trigger I can use to get the desired result. Then I consider if there are any cases I don't want the action to take place -- those get built as either a Reqd Expression or a conditional in the rule.

I strive to keep my first build as simple as possible to get the result I want (or close anyway!). Then I live with it for a while to find any weak spots or missing considerations so I can refine the rule as needed.

In your case here, the main concern is a break-in when no one's home, so I'd make the contact sensors the trigger (since those are truly actions) and account for no-one-home as the req'd expression or a conditional in the rule (since presence is a state/status). But that's just me - there are other ways to skin this cat.

It depends on the context and the presence sensor reliability, but in general, if I had a choice, I'd lean more on a contact sensor, which depends on a physical change (door/window moving). That is probably going to be more reliable than presence detection based on GPS, BLE, Wi-Fi, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.