Simple Email Notifications

You add it as a device handler/driver, as @kahn-hubitat notes, and then you create devices for each phone number or email you want to send messages to. If you put in a phone number you have to use a number that your ISP allows an email to generate a text. For me on Verizon it's xxx-xxx-xxxx@vtext.com.

You then select those devices you created (essentially choosing what email addresses or phone numbers you want to send messages to) in your notification apps.

Thanks to both of you for that info -- that makes total sense -- kind of embarrassing I didn't realize this myself...

I have it set up, but I am unable to send msgs. I am attempt to use my gmail account to do this. Are there any known-reasons this won't work with gmail's SMTP server, or do I just need to bottom out a config mistake on my end?

Some screenshots below, thanks again for any help you can provide

!

Marc

wont work with gmail.. gmail requires encryption which the hubitat telnet library does not have implemented. you need to either go normally to your isp first which usually allows with just an username and password.

Thank you for that info. I tried it with smtp.comcast.net without success. It looks like they also require an encrypted connection.

Marc

comcast works fine.. you dont put in a username password
use smtp.comcast.net
port 25
and use your comcast email as the from address.

Sharptools has an email integration for notifications although it is cloud based and cost $30.00 / year.

Email notifications and rules are free. :grinning:

(SMS and variables require premium)

1 Like

That's even better.

I gave it a try -- didn't work. Set my from and to email to be my comcast acct. Logs below.

Suggestions appreciated.

Marc

you must have a firewall or antivirus blocking your port 25..

make sure you can telnet to it on port 25 from a command prompt it wont work otherwise

Good suggestion. I tried to telnet -- no response.

I found this article in which Comcast states that they block port 25.

Marc

@scunny & @josh, thanks for the pointer to sharptools -- that worked. I also set up a gmail filter to send the notifications on to my phone via SMS.

@kahn-hubitat, thank you for the time you invested in helping me -- very much appreciated. I would love to get your drive to work. If you come up with any other ideas, let me know. I'll let you know if I figure anything out.

Thanks again everyone!

Marc

2 Likes

I'm trying to use the driver @kahn-hubitat graciously provided here, but I'm having problems getting mail through. I don't see any errors in the logs - is there a better way to debug this? Attached are screenshots of my configuration, logs and events.

I'm wondering if the issue may be that my email server is outside my intranet and the provided IP address of my hub isn't visible to it. Do I need to do some router voodoo to get this traffic coming back? If so, can I specify specific port numbers for the host name?

Thanks anyone!

those logs are not usefull there are many hung messages. turn on detailed loggin reset the device by using configure button on the device and then just try one test message from the device panel..
but my guess is you are using the wrong port .. port 993 is encrypted imap and used fror reading mail not sending outgoing mail via smtp.. check the documentation for your isp for sending mail.

it also looks like fastmail is requiring encryption ssl or tls on this page so if that is the case will not work
https://www.fastmail.help/hc/en-us/articles/1500000279921

https://www.fastmail.help/hc/en-us/articles/360058752854

try port 465 or 587 and see if it works.

My bad on the port number, I should have caught that.

I tried 465 & 587 and there's now an error in the logs:

[error](http://hubitat.local/device/edit/968)java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out on line 295 (deviceNotification)

I assume that's because the server is expecting an encrypted connection. Oh well. Let's see if I can find a server that doesn't require ssl or tls.

Thank you!