Simple automation rules Recurring?

I made a simple rule to turn on lights a sunset.
but its not Recurring everyday .. not sure what I am doing wrong.
I see no "button" for Recurring this. How do I make this run everyday ?

Thanks ! For Any Help !

Look at the Event Subscriptions (gear in upper right corner). Do you see a subscription for sunset? My similar rule has always worked for years:

What version do you have, and what firmware?

My version shows 1.3.1 (11/26/2022), my firmware is 2.3.6.139 on a C-8, but, like I said, this same SAR has worked from the beginning on my C-5, then C-7, and now my C-8. Always worked perfectly, never changed.

Just a thought: Perhaps did you forget to hit β€œDone” in the lower right corner after creating the SAR? I believe that sets up the Event Subscriptions.

Notice it says once .. bottom right ...

Platform Version

Hardware Version

C-8

Very new at this .. but the only one [Simple Automation Rules] seems to allow for time off set?

I believe that primes the pump for subsequent Location Event Sunsets.

1 Like

As it should: you have a negative sunset offset, which needs to be calculated every day. It should get re-scheduled before the next run. (Sunset is an actual event the app could subscribe to; offsets need a scheduled job and some daily calculation of what that should be.)

I second the advice above to hit Done. Then see what Logs show next time, filtered to just this app (keep logging enabled, of course), if it doesn't do what you expect.

2 Likes

This might be simplistic, but shouldn't your rule also have an off time?

HE is event driven. A rule subscribes to an event and waits for it to happen. But those subscriptions can change; they're not set in stone. The reason your scheduled job will only happen once is that the sunrise and sunset time changes every day by a small amount of time. So each day, the new time is calculated, the old subscription deleted, and a new one created.

Here is the scheduled job for a rule I have that happens every 6:15am.

If you access the system logs from the left, then select "Location events" from the top tabs, you will see the sunrise/sunset times being set. You can type "sun" into the filter box to see just them.

The rightmost column shows when the calculation was done. So at 7:22am this morning (one minute after today's sunrise time), the sunrise time for tomorrow was calculated. Any rule that just fired at sunrise at 7:21 will now subscribe to a new event that will fire once tomorrow at 7:22am. This same process will repeat tomorrow morning when a new sunrise time is calculated.

Now to your question of not having an off time for the rule, here is my guess. Because the rule actions don't really know what the trigger was, they just know they have been told to run, there might be an implied goal of "only have this rule turn this light off if this rule turned it on". So maybe the trigger is a button press. If I press this button at any point today, at sunrise tomorrow turn this on and at sunset turn this off. But what if I don't press the button and I just turn the light on 20 minutes before sunset? I might not what this rule turning off the light. So my guess is that when the rule triggers at sunrise, it created a new subscription for sunset and when that event happens, it then turns off.

Hopefully I explained that in a way that makes sense.

EDIT: To clarify, sunrise and sunset themselves are actually events. So the reason your rule has to create a new subscription every day is because you are using a time offset. A subscription to sunset will just look like this.

One I have that triggers at sunset -30 minutes looks like this

1 Like

waterboysh

Thank you ! for the detailed explanation .. I looked at the logs ..
and I see this ...

But after this event happens .. It will not be there .. it shows no schedule events.
If I go into the apps and click done .. it shows up there again ..

I will have to wait to see and test this more .. again thanks everyone !

1 Like

Warlock,

I presume you shut the lights off in the AM when rising, because you don't have a time to turn off the lights set in the example.

Though you might prefer to leave that for manual control, what happens if you set a turn off time? Right now you only have it set to turn on, logically if it's never off it never needs to be rescheduled to turn on again.

Maybe?

...bob

You will have to wait for your hub to calculate the next sunrise time before anything shows up. If you open the app and click done, it will manually calculate it for that one app. Or it might use the current sunrise time. I'm not sure actually. When you click done, it reinitializes the app.

1 Like

No .. I have a button I push when i go to bed that turns off ALL the lights.
I have certain lights out side and Inside that I like to turn on at dusk -60
they are on till i go to bed ..

My thought was to set the OFF time to be something like an hour past the typical time you'd shut off the lights manually, as well as having the automation allow the switch to turn it off.

1 Like

I will try that thanks :slight_smile:

Well .. I did what you suggested ..
This is what is in the logs now ...

Weird it shows the OFF time as recurring .. But the ON time shows not recurring
I will see what happen tonight .. hopfull it will make a new job after it turns off.

Update ...

It Seems to be working now ..
Still shows recurring "no" but it does seem to make a new on in "schedule events"
Thanks everyone !

1 Like