Simple Automation - Prompting good automation habits by offering trigger features such as "OR"?

Was just about to recreate a rule in RM which I quickly whipped up in Simple Automation just before cold weather set in. It's works great in Simple and I wouldn't bother to recreate in in RM if it weren't for one thing....

It dawned on me today that I have a freeze protection scenario dependent on ONE SINGLE BATTERY OPERATED Zigbee device passing through (and staying under) a specific temperature threshold. Obviously a vulnerability to reliability.

Before starting to recreate the rule in RM I looked again at how BLOOMING EASY it is to create a simple automation in Simple Automation....I opened up the drop down for the temperature sensors I could select and thought...gee, if I could only click multiple sensors and put an "OR" or maybe even an "AND" condition between them.

The "good automation habits" that would be prompted here would be to NOT rely on a single BATTERY OPERATED sensor to trigger important things such as freeze protection.

Just an idea, I am fully aware that what needs to be done here can be done in RM and this is in fact the quandary faced all the time...how much to put on the easier learning curve products/apps.

Ignoring the complexity to integrate this and taking the beginner user perspective,.....allowing multiple devices and specific conditions between them seems kinda slick.

1 Like

Have you looked at Basic Rules? It does just what you are saying to do, and is just as simple as Simple Automation Rules.

2 Likes

Opps.
Nevermind.
I guess I went from Simple to Complex without passing Basic.

5 Likes

Yes, but did you pass Go?

3 Likes

Didn't know this. Good to know.

Well, in a way I did pass Go.

After going into RM and using the option to recreate/import my Simple Automation rule it was quick work to build on the multi-device temp checking....w/o adding the Basic Rule App into the mix.

Thanks for that "easy button".

1 Like

Try going From Basic to Pascal to C++

Pascal to Groovy: FTW

2 Likes

I couldn't program my way out of a paperbag anymore.

Sometimes it seems having a Search Engine at your fingertips is more a curse than a blessing. There's no way I would have bothered to go crack open the encyclopedia for this.

P.S. Nor would it have been updated nearly in time to give this result.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.