Simple Auto-off

We have a towel warmer in our bathroom, I'd like to make a rule that turns it off after 4 hours no matter how it was turned on. (other rule, physical switch, time of day, etc)

A physical lutron switch controls it.

You need something like this.
You can lose the cancel delayed action if you don't want the timer to reset every time it is turned on.

2 Likes

ok got most of that, I'm here

What do I need to do to make the timer "reset" if its turned on again?

@jared.zimmerman

I would highly recommend you watch these two videos from Hubitat:

Hubitat's Rule Machine documentation and release notes are also highly recommended reads.

Looks like you just need to do an "insert above" the Off: Bathroom Towel Warmer line.
Add a "Cancel Delayed Actions" there.

Thanks I got hung up, because I assumed the timer would be some sort of condition, rather than a delay on the result actions.

1 Like

Thanks got it!, couldn't find Cancel Delayed action buried in the millions of options there.

I know. I wish they would rename the menus a bit, I always have to dig a bit if I haven't been in there in a while.

1 Like

If you're not sure where (in what menu) an action in Rule Machine action can be found, there's a list at the end of the Rule 4.0 docs called "List of Actions," and it can be helpful in that regard: Rule-4.0 - Hubitat Documentation

For your actual rule, someone asked a very similar question in another thread and got more or less the same rule in the end: Turn Light off after 30 minutes. Might have pointed them here had I seen this first. :laughing: (This seems to becoming a common enough request that I wonder if it could be squeezed into a stock app like Simple Lighting/Simple Automation Rules. I don't see a way to delay the "off" of a switch with that app right now--looks immediate to me--though I did see this alluded to in another thread as a possible solution. I'm not sure it is.)

1 Like

Yeah I was surprised that there wasn’t just a simple lighting rule about turning lights off. There are some secondary lights in the house that don’t really warrant their own sensor (like a light over a bath tub) but when turned on manually with a switch I still want to turn them off after a set amount of time. Technically here in California all bathroom lights need to have auto off for vacancy by code standards. Also just good practice since esp. since we’re running the house off solar and batteries.

Just curious, what rules do you use to turn it on? I’ve been trying to find the right rule to create. I want it to be good and warm for after I get out of the shower but also stay warm long enough to dry the towels.

I just turn it on every day at 8 and let it stay on for 4 hours

Our Rowe warmer is slow to heat up. So 4 hours gives us plenty of time for warm towel then dry towels.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.