Shower motion sensor suggestion?

So I heard the suggestions of using a door sensor instead of motion for the turn off. That got me thinking. I have a Kohler DTV+ shower... why not just reverse engineer their API and figure out how to tell if the shower is on? That way, if the shower is on, I never turn off the lights. New project!

As a side note, I'm very unhappy with my Aeotech Multisensor... the motion detection range is horrible. I have a 50 sqft bathroom which by no means is huge and I need 3 sensors to cover the floor plan. That's ridiculous. My motion sensor for my old Honeywell alarm system sees me when I'm 20ft away!

I think the Aeotec suck as area motion sensors, that's why I don't recommend them... :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I have 12 of them and they all seem to work as expected.. maybe my expectations are low? Maybe mine are of a batch that worked? They are pretty old.

I have six of them, and for me they seem to work well for small area detection, but not whole room detection.

You are right though, that everyone's experience seems to be a little different.

Per of the spec sheet, they should actually perform better than some of the other ones I have since they are listed as having a 120 degree detection angle. In practice that's not my experience though.

I use an iris motion sensor to detect initial motion in the room and turn on a light over a vanity. The aeotec multisensor is positioned so it can see into the shower as well as outside the shower. Once motion is detected by Iris, then aeotec keeps the lights on while someone is in the shower because with a shower curtain the iris can’t detect the motion while someone is inside the shower. I have my sensors strategically placed this way and use iris for initial detection as it’s not only faster but positioned ina way that it won’t detect motion from someone walking down the hall and turn on the light. You have to physically step into the bathroom to activate the light.