Show Off Your Dashboards!

Just for screensaver and turn off the screen. Looking at MagicMirror now. I think this will do what I need.

Speaking in the context of Amazon Fire tablets for dashboards, if you are using Fully and intend for your screen to go dark unless you are standing in front of it, then Dakboard is unnecessary.

1 Like

Did Dakboard drop their free tier? I'm using it for Free to display pics from a Google Photos album. On motion, it kicks over to Fully and then from 11pm-6am, the screen is turned off automatically.

On the website, it says only for one screen and will show branding but I haven't tried recently.

Many of the dashboards here have what looks like video feeds. I have Unifi Protect with 6 cameras. Is there a way to get the video from them on a tile??

Set it up and tried the free option and it works well. I can show the same dakboard screen on all displays which is fine and the logo is very small so I don't mind it.

I have also setup the magic mirror on a RPi so will give it a try once I have learnt how to customise it.

I originally set it up the same way and liked it but the one in the corridor and bedroom became a nuisance as they keep changing between screensaver and dashboard so I have set it to change when touched.

I have also setup the bedroom one to turn screen off at night but what if I want to use it. Mine doesn't wake up when touched. Do you know if there is a way to do it?

I agree with Pantheon. Very helpful developer. Android app works very well.

+1 for magicmirror

Looks great like the wood mount, I have two iPads deployed myself with ActionTiles from my HE. What connector are you using for iPad power (round sliver thing)?

Thanks! Iā€™m using a u cable. You can find on AliExpress

1 Like

What route are you using to have the screen turn off on a schedule? I have fully aswell

1 Like

New HE user, loving every minute .

Simply a 7" tablet velcroed to the bedhead.

Running Fully Kiosk - screen stays off most of the time, on with a double tap, off when thermostat set to off or with a switch.
The Wallmote next to it can also change the thermostat if I'm watching a movie or don't want to turn the screen on.

9 Likes

Fully has a built in scheduler for this which I use however, if I have wake it up, it won't turn off the screen off again until next cycle which is annoying.

what brand tablet are you using?

Lenovo M7 (3rd gen)

The project was a thermostat display for my dumb heaters/portable air con. I started using my old cracked-screen Moto G5 then saw the tablet advertised so they caught me at a weak moment.

As a daily tablet it seems average at best (the screen can be a little unresponsive) but it is working perfectly as my climate display/thermostat. I discovered with magnification turned on in android settings I can zoom in to hide the menu and I don't need to put on glasses to read the display.

3 Likes

very nice thanks for the info, I have been looking for a tablet to get. does the double tap to wake work out of the box with this tablet or you using a 3rd party app to make it happen?

You can move the menu items and make them almost invisible through CSS, and I'm sure some tinkering with the font sizes could help with readability. But sometimes the simplest solutions are the best, so if the zoom is working for you, not real need to spend more time on it...

1 Like

Double-tap to wake and lift to wake are in settings, not sure if specific to this tablet or the OS version it came with (Android 11).

I have the screen timeout set to 15 seconds in android but stay awake while charging (developer options), combined with Fully Kiosk's wake/suspend function. Linked to a Tradfri outlet the screen activates/deactivates according to the thermostat mode but can be kept on if required with the outlet switch tile.

I find the power button more convenient if I need to turn it on as I'm standing when in front of the unit.

There is also a setting to turn off the charging indicator light but I found it comes back on occasionally, hence the black tape top right (almost invisible in use).

Thanks I appreciate the input. CSS is on my list of things to tackle, I have only dabbled with it so far. The magnification is just handy if I'm standing at the unit having forgotten my glasses. :upside_down_face:

1 Like