My primary dashboard is more informational than functional. There's not much I need to manually activate, so my goal with it is to be able to glance at it throughout the day to ensure I catch any issues before they become real problems. A few specific notes...
- The line about the 3D printer in the header graphic is a scrolling marquee. I use it for "alerts" that aren't terribly important. That one is letting me know the 3D printer has finished.
- The Leak Sensor and Smoke/CO Detector tiles are both for virtual devices. The actual leak sensors and smoke detectors all feed into them (i.e. if any one leak sensor detects water, the virtual leak sensor will replicate that) so I can use one tile to visually check the status of all the devices simultaneously.
- The two "No Data" tiles in the lower left report on low batteries and devices that are unresponsive. The batteries start reporting when they get below 20% and a device has to be offline for 24 hours before it shows up as unresponsive. Obviously, some of the battery values show up in their respective tiles, but this reports on everything.
- The Porch Activity is a reporting on an outdoor motion sensor (red) and the front door being opened (green). I use this mainly to check for any overnight activity, hence the 8-ish hour time scale.
- Upcoming Events pulls from Google Calendar, and Shopping List is a data dump from Alexa's shopping list.
- My wife and I both work from home now, so the Start Work button is used once we're both cleaned and dressed and sitting at our respective computers. It turns off any devices that might not be needed (electric blanket, ceiling fan in the bedroom, etc) and opens the blinds, It's one of the handful of things I haven't been able to find any reliable triggers to be able to run automatically.
Most of this, ultimately, is just reporting on various aspects of security for my home. I don't need to be able to turn off the kitchen lights from here, but I do want to know if my water heater stops working or if the invisible fence isn't going to keep the dog in the yard or if there's a massive storm coming that I should be worried about or just to make sure I don't miss Mom's birthday!