Should I just throw my Aqara contact sensors (MCCGQ11LM) away?

Thanks...thanks for the pic of the motion sensor.

I said "motion sensor" but meant to ask about the contact sensor. My bad!

Can you confirm which contact sensor you've used? Smaller or larger?

But then why would they be more reliable? Firmware differences?

1 Like

I personally believe (I think that I got this from you!)
-every year, on a rigorous schedule, every battery should be replaced, and there should be a complete usage of Device Activity Check, or some other such utility to confirm that all of these Zigbee sensors are still "alive and well".
-As you are very well aware, even if the battery reports 87%, this means nothing with these types of batteries (CR2032, CR2045, etc.) I'm not sure it even makes sense to take out the multimeter and check them - just replace them all.

Also, Tuya is a member of the Zigbee alliance - so, I think all their devices have to have Zigbee certification (if they are Zigbee, not WiFi).

P.S. I hate to sound like a fanboy for one particular company. Remember since the price is so low (relatively speaking), they are getting to be a commodity item (which means that they can easily be replaced).

3 Likes

LOL. Sometimes I have no recollection of the assumptions I make. :upside_down_face:

That two board design is very different from the Aqara and Mijia contact sensors that both use a single board design (each fairly different as well). I would guess this isn't from the same factory as either of them, looking at that photo. And probably not designed by Shenzhen Green Rice Lianchuang Technology Co Ltd.

But who cares. If it works it works. I'm intellectually interested in what works well, since I like to help those starting out. For those that have Xiaomi devices already (like me), I'm apt to recommend bridging rather than trashing. Far too much e-waste in the world. When I can utilize an old computer without using too much power, I'm happy to do that. I'm a Mac user and people know that so I occasionally have old Macs given to me as well. If they're not too old, Intel based Mac laptops make great devices that can run a heck of a lot of IoT software without slowing. Simple to run an app that keeps them awake with the lid closed.

1 Like

aqara/xiaomi are the most elegantly designed, battery efficient, and cheapest zigbee devices.
with the good repeaters, they should work perfectly.

1 Like

With Xiaomi hubs, they do. With other hubs and Zigbee sticks, you roll the bones.

3 Likes

Thanks for confirming.

The Tuya measures differently than the Aqara:

• Aqara is 22mm x 12mm x 40mm
  • Tuya is (according to specs on site) 25mm x 12mm x 40mm

If those are correct, at a minimum the cases are different on the two sensors, that that may be so they could fit the two-board design, which is also different from the Aqara & Mijia sensors.

I'm going to order a Tuya to try out. If it works then @SmartHomePrimer, you might have an opportunity to get a couple Aqara sensors on the cheap. :wink:

2 Likes

Saving the planet, one sensor at a time! :joy:

2 Likes

While you're ordering... :wink:

This looks like a neat little sensor and it's ready to go for powered use and recessed installation.

1 Like

You are so kind to help me spend (as she thinks of it) "My wife's money." :wink:

I love this picture...have recessor which is nice, but someone needs to actually install it properly and then take the picture. :wink:

I have quite a number of spare motion sensors, so won't be ordering this now, but we have some upcoming construction where a ceiling mount sensor like this could be useful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

She can thank me when your credit card bill comes :rofl:

1 Like

Hi. I have a Tuya zm-cg205 window sensor, but can't get it working. Could anyone help me out?

Not sure if this has cleaned up at all and made this usable, but recently this sensor was rated the best from 'The Hook Up' Review:

EDIT: Another favorite here, the Ring Contact Sensor, came in top 3 out of the 14 tested.