Should I just throw my Aqara contact sensors (MCCGQ11LM) away?

Well more likely I'll return them, but I liked the dramatic headline. :slight_smile:

I have two of these that I got for an application where I wanted a small contact sensor. I didn't notice at the time that they weren't the newer T1 Zigbee 3.0 version (MCCGQ12LM).

They are small, but they are also undependable. I paired them about three weeks ago, using Marcus' drivers, and they've been sitting in my spare parts box waiting for me to get around to my project. I pulled them out today and both are disconnected.

I'm going to be putting them in a spot that will be very tedious to have to get to if they fall off again. I'd rather return them if these just aren't going to play well. From other older posts it appears they are not fully Zigbee compliant.

1 Like

Sadly, the drivers don’t matter if all your zigbee repeaters aren’t Xiaomi compatible. And even then they’re not the most stable devices.

If you have just two, pitch them for something that works well with Hubitat.

FWIW - they work well on the Mijia and Aqara hubs, and there are ways to integrate devices on those hubs into Hubitat.

3 Likes

Thanks...I figured that's what it would be.

I'll start the return process, I don't really want/need any more hubs in the home (two HE, one ST, one Hue, and one Lutron already). :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hear ya. Good move sending them back. Wish there were other contact sensors in that form factor.

1 Like

No! No! Send to me immediately! Mine work fine and I'm very happy with them!

1 Like

No! No! Terrible move. Throw them away, or better yet send to meeeee! :smiley:

1 Like

Postage is way higher to Singapore! I'm in Toronto and have a Mijia Multimode Gateway I want to try them with. I heard it doesn't work, but I don't believe them. Will test for the good of the community :wink:

2 Likes

Two honorable gentlemen offering support in a moment of need... :wink:

Unfortunately for your honor I have almost $40 into these sensors and I'd like to recoup that to waste, ah, er, invest in other gear. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have 2 contact sensors on my network and they work just fine, however I added another 2 a while back which then started to mess things up. Personally, If I could return them I would and buy something that's more stable rather than messing around trying to get it to work for the sake of a small saving.

My house is full of these along with Aqara temp/humidity/leak sensor/motion sensors. All work beautiful!

1 Like

I’m returning mine. They connect once and that’s it until you press the button again. It kind of defeats the purpose, unless the goal is for you to watch for a leak. In that case, they work great.

I guess I must have a perfect zigbee mesh, I would be very grumpy if that was my experience.

Or maybe Markus's drivers are doing the work for me in the background.

Yes I'm also using the drivers that Marcus created, and have a strong mesh that works very well, never had any zigbee device fall off it or misbehave - these contact sensors are the first, and I was so surprised that it took me about 5 minutes to really believe they were no longer connected.

3 Likes

My only problems are with the Aqara devices. Everything else works great.

3 Likes

I had re-paired both of them last night. This morning one is already disconnected.

As my buddy Obie would say, these are not the contact sensors I am looking for.

:wink:

2 Likes

I had ~60 Aqara devices on my zigbee-only C-5.

All the repeaters were Xiaomi-compatible (5 Tradfri outlets, 6 Tradfri repeaters, 4 of @iharyadi's environmental sensors). So that's 15 repeaters for ~60 Xiaomi devices + 2 yale locks + 6 Sengled bulbs.

Everything was relatively stable with @markus' drivers. Two issues began with changes in @markus' drivers around June/July of last year.

1. There were missing events for the contact sensors and Aqara vibration sensors with @markus' drivers, but not @veeceeoh's drivers.
  2. Once in a while there were missing events for my locks.

Moving everything to @veeceeoh's drivers resolved both issues, but the devices were more prone to fall off-line.

A few weeks ago, I moved all the Xiaomi devices to Mijia smart hubs and bring them into Hubitat via Node-RED. Everything has been rock stable and there are no missing events for my Yale locks either.

So my general feeling is that while @markus's drivers do a great job at keeping Xiaomi devices paired/online (when there are Xiaomi-compatible repeaters), it does come at a cost - especially when there's a large number of such devices.

2 Likes

I lost almost two years worth of battling with these devices (I'd had them over 5 years, initially on ST).

I have 5 wireless double boutons left, connected to deCONZ. The rest (8 contacts, 10 motion, 10 no neutral double switches, two Xiaomi hubs, 5 buttons) all went on ebay. Funnily enough selling them pretty much what I paid for them and in some cases more. I guess because they didnt have to come all the way from China :slight_smile:

I replaced all the device with Iris motion and contacts, and Zemismart switches (non neutral).
My Zigbee has been the healthiest its been in a long time, and I really don't miss fighting with those damned devices any more :smiley:

3 Likes

I do love the tiny form-factor of these contact sensors, but not going to add another hub, and not going to use them if they aren't 100% reliable in my house.

I should be "once bitten, twice shy" but am wondering if the newer Zigbee 3.0 version ( MCCGQ12LM) is any better (on it's own, no Aqara/Xiaomi hub)? Main reason I'm even thinking about it is that these are so small they are very easy to "hide in plain site" and my wife HATES seeing smart gear stuck to things around the house. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have heard (no personal experience) that these do not show open/close events with the Generic zigbee contact sensor driver.

Well that's an issue. :wink:

So your comments above were for the newer Zigbee 3.0 versions?